Marmot Ama Dablam Jacket

I've had the Marmot Ama Dablam jacket for 3 years.

Summary

I've had the Marmot Ama Dablam jacket for 3 years. It is a down jacket that is not as super lightweight like the Mountain Hardwear Nitro or North Face Thunder and not as heavyweight (relative to down jacket) as the North Face Nuptse or Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero. It is right in the middle.

Pros

• 800 fill power down
  • Hood is amazing

Fit and Form:

I am 5'6" tall, 145 lbs, athletic build. The size small is just about right. The jacket has enough room for a base layer and a trim thicker fleece like a Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man Jacket. If you did chose to do that, you may overheat. The jacket is in the middle of trim down jacket and the michelin man look.

The feel of the jacket is soft to the touch.

Function and Intended Use:

The Ama Dablam is an 800 fill down jacket that keeps me warm and comfortable anywhere in the 0-30 degree fahrenheit range. During high wind locations, I find the jacket to be relatively windproof. The hood of the jacket really helps keeping warmth in. The hood has 3 adjustable toggles to get the best fit, with or without a helmet.

It is as compressible as what you would expect from a down jacket and packs down pretty small in the interior pocket of the jacket.

Durability:

The exterior shell is very light and thin. Marmot uses this material to keep the weight down while keeping the compressibility optimal. That said, I've gotten a small hole on the left arm because I've got it caught on something while walking through some sharp.  Not the jacket's fault.

Conclusion:

I love this jacket.

Only call out is that if, the environment you will be using this jacket is on the sharper side, pick a down jacket with a thicker denier as a skin.

It is a nice packable jacket with good pockets and…

It is a nice packable jacket with good pockets and packs pretty small with right compression pack. It is not as warm as I thought, maybe a fall/spring jacket in Wyoming. The zipper seems to get stuck now and then but that seems to be a problem with just about everything from time to time.

It is worth what I paid, but would recommend more fill power (800 vs 650) for very much more money. The sizing is a lot better than my Mtn Hrwr Phantom but the Phantom is a lot warmer. Not a bad jacket if you can get it cheap.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Ama Dablam Jacket versions

In addition to the 2 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Ama Dablam Jacket. Read all reviews »