Marmot Limelight 4P

As with most tents, 4p=3p, 3p=2p, and so on. Especially…

Summary

As with most tents, 4p=3p, 3p=2p, and so on. Especially if you have a dog ;) We moved up from the Marmot Limelight 3P and so far this has been a great upgrade.

Pros

• Ease of setup
  • Roomy
  • Price

Cons

• Packed weight
  • Packed size

As I said, we moved up to the Marmot Limelight 4P from the 3P.  At the time when we got the 3p, it was just my wife and me. Eventually we got a dog and we made one attempt at fitting all three of us plus our gear into the 3p.  No go for camping.  We could afford to go bigger.  I found a good price on the Limelight 4p on eBay and snatched the newest model year.

The differences between the 3p and the 4p are the doors. On the 4p they are D shaped and open to the side, on the 3p the door opens to the floor and constantly gets stepped on and stretched.  Big improvement.  There is also improved vestibule space and the rainfly also has a D shaped side opening door.

Setup:

Since my 3p was the previous years model, we had never experienced this color coded pole setup that marmot uses.  All poles has a color and that color has a place. So you when you assemble a blue pole for instance, you clip it in the to the clips with the blue webbing. Very convenient! The poles are of the bungie variety, but are lightweight and don't look prone to breaking.  This tent has two main poles for the structure of the tent (it is freestanding), and two more short poles that support the rainfly and hold the fly out away from the doorways.  Stake down the tent and then stake down the guy lines and you're done.

Use:

We do mostly car camping, and with this tent, you can't really do much else. It weighs in at 9lbs packed. This is a big jump from the 3p which was manageable if you split the weight up amongst people.  Also it's fairly big too.  We just toss it in a rubbermaid tub with our sleeping pads and other gear. It's a trade off but bigger packed in this case means bigger space once setup.

The tent is huge inside.  My wife and I can sleep on one side of the tent and it leaves an entire half for the dog and our gear.  This is the way it should be for car camping.  It has small gear pockets at every corner and also includes a large gearloft overhead.  We were also able to stand up, albeit bent over, and move around.

We haven't had a chance to use it in any rain yet, but our last trip it was extremely windy and cold.  I made sure the guy lines were tight, and the tent held firm and wasn't really even noisy.  I did opt to keep the rainfly on the wind facing side staked a little closer to help block the wind from sweeping up and into the tent.  But like I said, solid as a rock.  This also kept pretty warm and we didn't notice any kind of condensation building up either.

I've been very happy with my two Marmot tents so far, I think they would make a great purchase for you and your family!

Best 4 Person Tent. Hands Down! - Form, Fit and Function…

Price Paid: USD 170 (inclusive of shipping)

Summary

Best 4 Person Tent. Hands Down! - Form, Fit and Function

Pros

• spacious and large vestibules
  • well balanced and durable
  • jingle free zippers
  • comes with footprint and gear loft
  • color-coded poles and snaps
  • double stitched/boxed stitch guy points
  • vertical wall entrance for added space
  • cheap for its category

Cons

• a bit heavy — 9lbs
  • storage bag cannot be used to compressed
  • need to install the fly and/or close the vestibules for privacy

BACKGROUND:

Been searching for 4-6 person tents here in HK and I was so disappointed on how the outdoor shops here lack the inventory in this tent category. You have options though to get a Chinese knockoff, which is totally out of the picture or go for 2-person backpacking tents from good brands suchs as MSR, Kelty, Snow Peak etc. but you have to buy 2.

So I decided to go and try online stores. So got this tent from Sierra Trading Post during their clearance sale last February. I've paid a total of USD 175 including the shipment to Hong Kong (not bad, really not bad!). Just took me well over a week for this tent to come knocking at my office (went home early, as I was so excited to unpacked and set it up).

SETUP:

I have to be honest, after I've sent my purchased and gave my card information, all I've ever did was search for articles pertaining to this tent. That includes setup videos from Marmot website as well as user submissions in You Tube :-). So basically. I was kinda familiar with the setup before I even got my hands on the actual product

Setting up was about 7-10 minutes and that already includes tightening the guy lines and fly. The snap (I am not a great fan of sleeves) design are a breeze. You could setup this tent from the inside. This is very useful when you try to setup into the rain. I can setup the tent in the order of fly - footprint - tent! The color coded poles and snaps are dumb proof.

The tent has a red colored tabs that would match the tabs on the fly for easy orientation. It secures both tent and fly via Jake's Foot snaps.

The ultimate test was to ask my 8-year-old daughter to assemble the tent. And she did it in about 10 minutes! Perfect!

STABILITY:

The tent design is well balanced! Hands down.

I have taken this tent to Tap Mun Island. This campground is on an elevated grass land and facing the South China Sea. It's been known to be extremely windy at midnight.

Our tent was pounded by around 20-30kph winds coming from the East. The winds started around 1:00am and didn't ceased til around 9:00am.

The tent stood firm and handled it gracefully. In fact, my kids were never awake.

I had 2 bent Y-Stake in though.

WATER RESISTANCE:

When it rains, it pours!

On another outing at Lantau Island. The HK Observatory has issued a thunderstorm forecast and a Red Rainstorm Warning. That means heavy rain has fallen or is expected to fall generally over Hong Kong, exceeding 50 millimeters in an hour, and is likely to continue.

Indeed it continued. From 10:00pm to around 8:00am the following day it rained heavily.

It was a big amazement for me that the fact is I am totally exposed to the elements and the only thing that separates me from it is a couple of millimeter thick nylon. Yet I remained completely dry. Not a single drop has fallen or sipped into my tent.

The wet and rainy morning provided a cozy feeling. My family and I were happily snug in and shared a hot cocoa drink.

CONDENSATION AND VENTILATION:

I had condensation in one occasion during one of those calm nights and wind is nowhere found. Underneath the fly was damped and I got it fixed just by opening the built in vents wide, I used chopsticks which are longer than the built in vent supports. I also opened a bit of my vestibule doors.

PACKABILITY:

The tent is heavy at about 9lbs. But for a 4-person family like mine, it's a small issue as I have evenly distributed the weight with my family. I had the main tent and fly, my son carries the poles and stakes and my daughter carries the foot print.

FEATURES:

I loved the windows on both vestibules. It gives you easy monitoring of what's going on outside.

The four pockets on each corner is a lovely touch. With my family, we own one corner and can stuff it with some personal items.

The reflector guy attachment and Marmot logo not only aids visibility at night but adds beauty to the tent!

03.jpg

Following an internet search for a recreational tent…

Price Paid: $300+/-

Summary

Following an internet search for a recreational tent for myself, my wife and our small dog, I settled on the Marmot 4P. We are "older" campers (minus the dog), and found this tent to suit all our purposes: Easy set-up; amble room; durability; interior stow away compartments; and simply a cool color (orange for us).

Pros

• Easy setup
  • Well built

Cons

• Would be very tight for 4 people

I seldom rate items, and I do so for the following reason. I would recommend this tent to recreational campers as my wife and I that were looking for a quality tent that is reasonable priced that will deliver in various weather conditions.

I must stress that if you are looking for a tent for 4 people; don't buy this tent unless you are hobbits or teenagers......oh well, nothing against hobbits or teenagers whatsoever!

But if you are looking for a two person tent with amble room that will stand up under "most" weather conditions, this tent is for you! The Marmot 4P for 2P!!!!

Happy Camping to all & thanks to Trailspace which was instrumental in my purchase.

Thanks, James! I'm glad Trailspace helped you find a great tent for you and your wife. Have fun out there!

james caden

Thank you Alicia. You have created a very good website. Rock on dear!

Thanks again!

1 year ago
If you've owned or used a Marmot Limelight 4P, please share your experience.

Whether your outdoor adventure takes you to the remote
reaches of Alaska or the Appalachian Trail, you’ll be at home in this
four-season, four-person Limelight tent. It sets up fast and easy using the color-coded
clip and DAC pole pitch system. All seams are fully taped for a watertight
seal. The canopy and rainfly are made of 68 denier polyester ripstop, and the
fly has an 1,800 mm water-resistant coating. The floor features 70 denier nylon
with a 3,000 mm waterproof coating. The Limelight 4-person tent comes with a
tent repair kit, gear loft, and footprint.

Features:

• Lightweight DAC press-fit poles
  • Welded, waterproof port window
  • Set up just the fly for a bare-bones, lightweight shelter
  • Fully taped and waterproof catenary cut floor
  • Floor seams lifted off the ground
  • Light-reflective material for locating at night
  • Multiple internal pockets for personal belongings
  • Nylon zipper pull and flap
  • Features “Velcro-weld” technology