Marmot Sharp Point Jacket

Weight 1 lb 7 oz / 652 g
Main Material WINDSTOPPER® Softshell 100% Nylon Stretch 8.2 oz / yd, WINDSTOPPER® Softshell 81% Nylon 15% Polyester 4% Elastane Stretch 9.5 oz / yd

I purchased a men's Marmot Sharp Point Jacket, size…

Fabric: Windstopper
Fill: Fleece lining

I purchased a men's Marmot Sharp Point Jacket, size small from REI.com.

Pros:
Excellent construction; great attention to detail.
Good fit; it is a trim cut but there is still room for layering underneath.
Outer nylon fabric is very durable.
The collar is perfectly shaped; higher on the back of the neck and lower under the chin. The collar is also perfectly sized.
The arm length is a bit on the long side but acceptable.
The cuff closure system is velcro, which provides for a good, tight fit around the wrist.
The Windstopper fabric keeps out 100% of the wind, making the jacket warm.

Cons:
The jacket is just slightly longer than waist length; I would have preferred it cut a bit shorter (I'm 5'5").
When wearing a lumbar pack the two pockets are useless as they are positioned too low.

Overall I am pleased with this soft shell jacket and recommend it. I've tried the Arc'Teryx Sigma AR and it did not fit as well (ill-fitting collar, very long arms).

This a great jacket (if you can afford it). Luckily,…

Fabric: Soft Shell (WindStopper)
Fill: N/A (fleece lining)

This a great jacket (if you can afford it). Luckily, I had a big dividend from REI and got it for a great price.

I tried several other soft shells, particularly in the Marmot line and liked the Sharp Point best. Why? It's very light and has a very nice hand (soft feel). Because the fabric is softer, the hem cord cinches the bottom as it should. Other soft shells are too stiff and don't seal properly. And the covers the butt very nicely, keeping the cold off your low back.

Also, the Sharp Point has some elastic around the cuffs which helps seal this area. It's not snug, but better than other makers who've opted to make a fashion statement by allowing the cuffs to remain wide open. What's with that? A velcro strip would have been a great addition here.

It's amazing how warm this jacket is for its weight. And the pit-zips are a good addition since the fabric (Gore WindStopper) is not quite as breathable as some other types (Polartec) -- but it does breathe sufficiently for most activities. If you're intending this for highly aerobic activities (cycling, cross-country skiing, etc.), I'd recommend looking elsewhere, but for most activities (hiking, climbing, mountaineering), this is tops.

The Sharp Point will repel light precipitation, not a hard rain, so you need to pack at least a light rain shell. Marmot's PreCip line is perfect for the task.

The Sharp Point's fit is well suited for a diverse range of activities. Unlike some designs, the fit is not snug and will allow for layering. The jacket has a thin fleece layering inside making it feel soft to the skin. Being such, it also has a tendency to drag on some other fleece if you layer unless that layer has a smooth finish. I like Pearl Izumi's Adventure and Endurance tops. For really cold weather, I use Marmot's Evolution N2S top.

In a nutshell, the Sharp Point is an excellent choice by filling a wide range of conditions. It's one of the smartest choices for a great layering system. I hope Marmot continues this product. It deserves a permanent place in its product line along with the Alpinist shell and Driclime shirt.

Out of the numerous pieces that I have in my closet,…

Price Paid: $175 from www.thebackcountry.net

Out of the numerous pieces that I have in my closet, it's safe to say that the Sharp Point is my go-to every time. I have multiple jackets from Mountain Hardwear, EMS, and Arc'teryx and I just can't put this one away.

It's just right. Perfect fit and balance. Completely windproof, practically water-resistant and all around warmth. My Gamma AR is thicker, my Mountain Hardwear Dragon is thinner. The Sharp Point completes the spectrum.

I plan on buying more Marmot products based on their quality and value. If you need one that'll last and you find a good price point and size, don't pass it up.

I am totally pleased with this jacket. Excellent build…

I am totally pleased with this jacket. Excellent build quality, and a very "sharp" looking jacket. The best part, I found it for $65 at TJMaxx!!! Not knowing anything about it. I just knew when I picked it up off the rack this was something that needed to be bought right then and there or first thing in the morning.

Long story short. I tried it on - LOVED IT, HID IT - then debated the want vs needs. Needless to say, I picked during lunch break the next day. You'll enjoy it I promise!

I've owned this jacket for over two years and it is…

I've owned this jacket for over two years and it is first rate. Windproof, durable, breathable, and warm. What else do you need? It's not waterproof, so I don't wear in downpours, but in all other weather it's all I need. I can wear it to about 30 degrees. Cooler than that and I switch to something heavier. No signs of wear even at this point.

awesome soft shell. the windstopper fabric is as advertised.

Price Paid: received as gift

awesome soft shell. the windstopper fabric is as advertised. i have layered with this softshell and it has been sufficient to keep me warm throughout my daily activities in michigan winters.

i have now owned this shell for 4 years and it looks as "sharp" as the day i got it, and that is with daily use. i would recommend this product to anyone. can be found occasionally on steepandcheap for a BARGAIN. happy trails.

I've only had my Sharp Point for a few weeks but it's…

I've only had my Sharp Point for a few weeks but it's quickly becoming my favorite softshell. My other 2 jackets (G50, Gamma SV) are good but the Sharp Point combines the best of both jackets into one.

The Sharp Point is made of Windstopper fabric like my SV but the availability of pit zips makes this jacket far more versatile. The outer fabric is also softer to the touch and seems just as abrasion resistant.

The G50 is also windproof, water resistant and soft to the touch but the Sharp Point is much warmer because of the fleece lining. And yet, it still maintains the same range of movement and freedom as the G50.

I just came back from a backcountry ski tour where the weather was -9F. All I wore was a T-shirt under my Sharp Point and it kept me warm while I was moving. What more can you ask for?

As far as the negatives are concerned, I found the arm length to be a little long. That's about it.

The Sharp Point is a very well made jacket. If you…

The Sharp Point is a very well made jacket. If you want a shoft shell for climbing take a look at the other brands. My climbing harness and back belt prevented use of the side pockets.

Marmot Men's Sharp Point Jacket

The Marmot Men's Sharp Point Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 4, 2014 at EMS.

If you're looking for a new soft shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.