Marmot Storm Shield Jacket

Weight 1 lb 5.1 oz / 598.2 g
Main Material PreCip® 100% Nylon 4.6 oz / yd

A great rain jacket that is for more than just rainy…

Summary

A great rain jacket that is for more than just rainy conditions.

Pros

• Versatile

Cons

• No pit zips

From the Manufacturer:

You’re not getting older: You’re evolving! And so is Marmot’s venerable PreCip waterproofing technology. Seam-taped and equipped with secure closures and a double storm flap over the main zipper, the Storm Shield is impervious to the wet, and incredibly comfortable to wear—with comfy mesh and taffeta-lined hand warmer pockets.

Out of the Bag

I purchased the product from Backcountry on sale for $69.  It normally retails for about $124, but I opted for a past season color. As is standard with this store, a purchase of over $50 includes free 2-day shipping and I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived two days later. Out of the bag it was in perfect unflawed condition.

Rain jackets are very important if you live in the Midwest and in many other parts of this country. Thus one needs to put a lot of thought into layering and the type of rain jacket they are going to wear. Where I live, Michigan, November rain is a cold piercing rain that is often accompanied by whipping winds and even sleet. You need a bomb proof jacket that will hold up against the elements. I had one — the Outdoor Products Men's Cascade Rain Jacket; it was great. I wore it everywhere and unfortunately was wearing it when I leaned back on a counter where a candle was burning.  Then I purchased the Mountain Hardwear Epic Jacket and all I can say about it is that it is epically lousy.  Finally I settled on the Marmot Storm Shield Jacket.

Right away when I took it out I could tell it had much more substance to it than my last purchase.  It had a cool mesh lining and insulated pockets. It fit nicely to my 200 lb frame. The outer fabric seemed very durable and it had a bit of weight to it.  Not that this jacket is super heavy but it’s not ultralight — at 22 plus ounces and if you are an ultralight hiker it’s something to consider.

I also liked the fatigue color that I got mine in.  Personally, I don’t like to look like a Popsicle walking around in nature. The fatigue color has a kind of military feel and gives off a very manly vibe. Besides, I think men aren't  meant to wear jackets that have colors like “dill” or “red delicious.” Just call it green or red and maybe we might be more inclined to purchase it.

Impressions

So I bought this just before heading out on a multiple day backpacking excursion in the northeastern lower peninsula of Michigan. It rained pretty much the whole time we were there, with temperatures in the mid to lower forties. Wearing it as we hit the trail, I will say this, it doesn’t have pit zippers so cooling down might be a challenge for some.  But it does have a front zipper, imagine that, and I’ve found that amazingly, it has a similar affect for cooling your body down.

It definitely seems less breathable than other jackets I’ve owned but in all honesty I’ll sacrifice that if a rain jacket can follow the very simple premise of keeping you from getting wet. And it did just that. The water just bounced off of it the whole time. Sitting in a constant drizzle while fishing, I thought, “Maybe we should have looked at the weather report before leaving – but hey at least I’m not wet or cold.”

I stayed dry and it kept me warm, while sitting idly for several hours fishing.

image.jpg

Some other great features on it include a draw cord around the bottom so you can cinch it closer to yourself and Velcro sleeves so that you can tighten or loosen them to your satisfaction. What I really like about this jacket is its versatility. It doesn’t have a material that screams rain jacket so you can wear as just a fall jacket. It blocks the wind and it does have a thicker nature so it will keep you warm when layered appropriately.

If you are planning on wearing it temperatures in the upper thirties or lower forties, my suggestion is to couple it with a fleece of some sort and you’ll be good to go. You can wear it on a day hike or a walk in the woods and if you get caught in a storm, you can have the confidence of knowing that you’re not going to get wet – well at least your torso and head isn’t going to get wet.

Overall

I tend to be extremely frugal on what I spend on myself and I have a hard time justifying the purchase of an expensive jacket for just one particular function. I mean I have a winter jacket, a spring jacket, and a fall jacket, but a jacket just for rain?

Well the good thing is that it is more than just a rain jacket — it’s a great casual fall jacket. I wear it all the time on the weekends, as pictured below.  I think if you can find it priced below $100 it is an excellent value for what you are getting.  It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles but it is practical and simple.

I highly recommend purchasing this jacket and making it your go-to jacket for casual fall activities. And if you get caught in the rain, you won’t have to worry because you’re not going to get wet.

image.jpg

Nice review, James. Thanks for sharing it, as well as your other recent reviews. Thanks!

Visit Marmot's Storm Shield Jacket page.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Marmot Men's Storm Shield Jacket FEATURES of the Marmot Men's Storm Shield Jacket Marmot MemBrain Waterproof/Breathable Fabric 100% Seam Taped Fully Lined with Mesh and Taffeta Handwarmer Pockets Double Storm Flap Over Zipper with Snap/Velcro Closure Elastic Draw Cord Hem SPECIFICATIONS of the Marmot Men's Storm Shield Jacket Weight: 1 lb 5 oz Regular fit MemBrain 10 100% Nylon Plain Weave 4.5 oz/yd

The men's Marmot Storm Shield Rain Jacket in black offers waterproof, breathable protection to help keep you dry and comfortable when dark clouds let loose in the backcountry.

The men's Marmot Storm Shield Jacket is venerable PreCip? waterproofing technology. Seam-taped and equipped with secure closures and a double storm flap over the main zipper, the Storm Shield is impervious to the wet, and incredibly comfortable to wear?with comfy mesh and taffeta-lined hand warmer pockets.

- RockCreek

Marmot Storm Shield Jacket - Closeout - Youre not getting older: Youre evolving! And so is Marmots venerable PreCip waterproofing technology. Seam-taped and equipped with secure closures and a double storm flap over the main zipper, the Storm Shield is impervious to the wet, and incredibly comfortable to wear,with comfy mesh and taffeta-lined hand warmer pockets.2L PreCip Waterproof/Breathable Fabric , 100% Seam Taped , Fully Lined with Mesh and Taffeta , Handwarmer Pockets , Double Storm Flap Over Zipper with Snap/Velcro Closure , Elastic Draw Cord Hem , 28" Center Back Length for Size Medium.

- Massey's Outfitters

Marmot Men's Storm Shield Jacket

The Marmot Men's Storm Shield Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 15, 2014 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new hard shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.