Marmot Trestles 0

Max User Height 6 ft 0 in / 180 cm 6 ft 6 in / 200 cm
Hip Girth 58 in / 147 cm 58 in / 147 cm
Foot Girth 40 in / 101 cm 40 in / 101 cm
Price $119.00 USD $229.00 USD

After doing extensive research on sleeping bag I decided…

Design: mummy
Fill: synthetic
Temperature Rating: 0 degree

After doing extensive research on sleeping bag I decided Marmot was the way to go. Their bags are roomy, constructed with care, and attention to detail are in my opinion the best I've seen in my quest for sleeping bags.

This bag is rated for 0 degrees and let me tell you it is one hot bag. I knew I needed a sleeping bag that could keep me warm in colder temps because my boyfriend wants to do winter camping this year plus being a female we tend to get on the chillier side of things. I read on the label the bag will keep you alive to extreme temperatures of -41, now I wouldn't suggest anyone go field test this but from what I could tell this had a lot of insulation to support that claim (more on this later).

A word about sizing, I am a rather tall woman (just under 6 feet) of average build so finding a sleeping bag to fit me was hell. If a man or woman is anywhere close to 6 feet get the tall size!!! I would guess someone who is 5'10 or shorter would be more than happy with a regular sized bag but if you are taller than that opt for a long especially if you like to stuff your clothes in the feet of your bag. I ordered a long and had enough room to feel comfortable but not enough that I was drowning in the bag.

While this sleeping bag was great I did end up returning it due to its LACK OF COMPRESSIBILITY. If you are a backpacker this is a vital piece of information. I have a large pack and this bag no matter how hard we tried would not fit. The bag does come with its own compression sack from Marmot which was well constructed. The bag did not fit in the compression sack and would not even cinch down to a managable size in a Sea to Summit compression sack (an XL size if that gives you any idea how big this bag really is).

Since this bag is rated for 0 degrees you have extra filling on your hands which means added weight. It weighed in at about 5 pounds, if you are concerned with weight and compressibility get the Never Summer by Marmot. My boyfriend has that bag and has nothing but praise for it. It is a down bag so the price tag is a bit higher.

If you are someone who is not overly concerned about the size and weight of your sleeping bag then get this bag, it is great and full of great features (like the double zip on both sides, stash pocket, comfy foot box, etc.). If you are a backpacker who needs to keep weight and size in mind go for a down bag like the Never Summer.

After I returned this bag I wrestled with the idea of buying a Never Summer for myself though decided against it because I wasn't sure I would like backpacking that much to justify the $278 of the cost of just the sleeping bag.

I did end up finding another 0 degree synthetic bag, the Elkhorn made by The North Face. It weighs less and is able to be easily compressed to fit into the bottom compartment of my pack. It still is bulky and a bit heavy at a little over 4 pounds but for the price ($119) it can't be beat.

Overall if you're not worried about the price or damp conditions get the Never Summer, though if you are a car camper or trying to save money go for the Trestles it really cannot be beat.

Sanskrit

Comment on compressability - if you were rolling it, maybe that was the issue. I got the 6'6" (thanks for the tip, I bundle stuff into the bottom when I sleep too) and had no trouble at all with stuffing it into the compression sack (nicely included) and packing ... even on a super cold morning at the Guyot shelter a couple weekends below - with cold hands and a brittle-cold Osprey pack.

1 year ago

Definitely warm, roomy. Like everything Marmot makes…

Summary

Definitely warm, roomy.

Pros

• Warm!!!
  • Roomy
  • Gear pouch inside
  • Includes compression bag
  • Great when damp

Cons

• Weighty
  • Slip-slidey

Like everything Marmot makes ... it WORKS as described. It also packs a few extra pounds (see my review on my Marmot Swallow tent elsewhere ... totally worth the extra pounds) — each ounce of which is worth it.

Interior is roomy though, as noted, a little slip-slidey due to the fabric but this is a minor point. Nice zippered gear pouch inside. Dual side zippers are helpful for in/out without full unzipping. And zippers work pretty snag free, no real problems — even fumbling in the dark with cold hands.

Used it in the mostly-outdoor Guyot shelter in the Whites a couple weekends ago. 8 degree or less outside, without windchill and I was plenty warm ... even after an unfortunate accident with an unclosed water bottle I'd put inside it to keep the water from freezing, the synthetic is worth the weight and loft for that quality — no loss of heat I could see, and I spilled a good pint or so inside.

See my comment on compression — works fine.  Just don't roll it ... wad it. I'm right at 6', and the 6'6" is essential, even without stuffing some clothes overnight in the toes, I think I'd have been cramped in the 6'.

This bag is one of the "fairly compressible". It isn't…

Design: mummy
Temperature Rating: 0
Price Paid: 100$

This bag is one of the "fairly compressible". It isn't the lightest bag either; however, I recieved a great deal on it and after scrunching it up and successfully fitting it into the bottom compartment of my pack I decided to give it a try. I practice minimalist mountaineering and this bag has kept me comfortable in -5 degree weather for a month in the Cordillera Blancas among many other sojourns. It is also a good survival bag in being just roomy enough to squeeze in an extra albeit small person in an emergency situation.

Visit Marmot's Trestles 0 page.

Marmot's full-featured Trestles 0 is a reliable, all-purpose synthetic bag that insulates even in sustained cold and damp conditions. Updated style lines and fabric liner keep you comfortable on backpacking, trekking and mountaineering trips.

- CampSaver.com

Pack the warm, compressible Marmot Trestles 0 mummy sleeping bag along on your next cold-weather trip and sleep easy!

Marmot Trestles 0F Synthetic Sleeping Bag - Long SizeIf you need an ultra-light, super warm sleeping bag for your cold-weather expeditions, you can never go wrong with the Marmot Trestles 0F Synthetic Sleeping Bag. Integrating the SpiraFil High Loft Insulation with the Wave construction, this sleeping bag is designed to keep you warm, dry, and comfortable even in cold and damp conditions. Plus, the Trestles 0 is equipped with an insulated collar with easy-access cord that traps heated air inside, as well as a classic trapezoidal foot box that provides extra room for your feet. The consistent warmth and superb comfort will surely have you falling into a recharging sleep in no time, perfect after a tiring day outdoors. Also equipped with equally amazing features such as dual zippers, a hood draw cord, a snagless draft tube, a stash pocket, two hang loops, and a velcro-free face muff, the Marmot Trestles 0F Synthetic Sleeping Bag offers great convenience outside your home. Get it right now!

- SunnySports

Packing a hefty dose of warmth for the price, the Marmot Trestles 0-Degree Spirafil Sleeping Bag boasts technical features such as SpiraFil insulation, an insulated hood, and an overlapping series of internal shingles for blissful warmth retention.