MontBell Alpine Light Down Jacket

Fill Weight 2.9 oz
Insulation 800 fill power goose down
Shell Fabric 30-denier Ballistic rip-stop nylon
Lining Fabric 30-denier Ballistic nylon taffeta
Center Back Length 25.6 in (Size M)

This jacket is the most warm down jacket I have ever…

Price Paid: $165 from MontBell, I believe

Summary

This jacket is the most warm down jacket I have ever worn! It is great as a stand alone or mid layer. I absolutely recommend it. I am one of those ladies who is cold all the time, but not when I am wearing the MontBell Alpine Light Down Jacket. If you are looking for maximum warmth with minimum weight, this is the jacket for you.

Pros

• Very warm
  • Very lightweight
  • Wind resistant
  • Resilient 30 D ballistic nylon shell
  • DWR
  • Takes up very little room in your pack/very packable

Cons

• The fit is not as flattering as I would like, so size down
  • No zippered pockets
  • The torso length does not cover your bottom/it is relatively short

Why I bought it:

I bought the MontBell Alpine Light Down Jacket almost immediately after I saw the parka win the Backpacker Editor's Choice Award. I prefer jackets to parkas because I don't really like hoods unless it is raining. I have several puffy jackets (Patagoina Hi Loft Down Sweater, Patagonia UL Down Jacket, Patagonia Nano Puff Pullover, Arc'Teryx Atom LT Jacket, etc...), but this one is by far the most warm.

Another factor in my decision to purchase this jacket is I also have the MontBell UL Down Hugger #1 sleeping bag and it is wonderful as well. I thought to myself, "Now if I could only have a jacket that feels like this!" It doesn't feel exactly the same, but it is pretty close.

image.jpg

My husband and I in our MontBells. His is the UL Down and mine is the Alpine Light Down. *If you need help deciding between these two, I will be glad to give you insight.

Description:

• 11.3 oz (320.3 g) Women's Medium
  • 25.6" (65 cm) length of the back
  • 25 wash rated DWR
  • Exterior is 30 Denier Ballistic Ripstop Nylon (making it wind resistant)
  • Interior is 30 Denier Ballistic Taffeta Nylon (these two layers of nylon are "sewn thru", creating boxwall baffles and eliminating cold spots)
  • 800 fill goose down (2.9 oz fill weight)
  • Very soft and warm Micro-fleece collar
  • Comes with a stuff sack (8"long, 4" around when stuffed)
  • Elastic cuffs that seal in heat
  • The updated one has a drawcord hem, but mine does not (one of my few complaints about mine)
  • Two deep interior pockets ("water bottle pockets")

image.jpg
Here, you can see the water bottle pockets, the stitching, and the micro-fleece collar.

Fit:

I think that the women's version does run a little bit big. It is not as flattering as I would like for it to be. I would size down if this is a concern for you. If you like your jackets to have extra layering room, then I would say that it is true to size.

Comfort:

This jacket is VERY comfortable. When you put it on, you feel instant heat and it feels like it is giving you a hug! I know that isn't a very good description, but that is the best way that I can describe how good it feels right when you put it on!

Warmth:

I have already expressed how warm this jacket is, but I guess that I should add that I wore it with just a Smartwool NTS shirt underneath on a night when the temperature dipped into the 20s and I didn't even need another layer. Normally, in that situation, I would have on the Smartwool shirt, my Patagonia R1 Pullover, puffy, and if it is windy at all, a rainshell on top. It also regulates body heat very well. I have never over-heated in it.

Water Resistance:

I have never worn it in the rain, but I have spilled drops of water on it and they just rolled off. I mentioned earlier that it has DWR rated to 25 washings.

Exterior View

image.jpg
View of it stuffed, in comparison to the Patagonia UL Down Jacket, which is much smaller, lighter, and thinner.

* As a side note, I saw that some other reviews claimed that it loses feathers. I have not noticed this problem at all. It does not lose feathers any more than any other down jacket or sleeping bag. It also retains its loft very well after being stuffed.

Final Verdict:

I have tried, but can not say enough great things about this jacket. It is wonderful and I would not hesitate to buy it again. I absolutely love it and it is one of the best gear investments that I have ever made.

Great review, Ashleigh! Thanks for sharing it. I've also got a Montbell jacket I like.

gonzan MODERATOR

Great Review, Ashleigh!

JMTx13

I've also got a great Montbell, the U.L. Down hoody and I bought another MB jacket for my girlfriend. We both went with a size up, and they fit fine.

Rick-Pittsburgh

Very nice review Ashleigh. Thanks for sharing it.

rated 5.00 of 5 stars All Alpine Light Down Jacket versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 6 reviews for other versions of the Alpine Light Down Jacket. Read all reviews »

Visit MontBell's Alpine Light Down Jacket page.

The Mont Bell Alpine Light Down Jacket gets roughly 10% lighter and softer without sacrificing durability! Mont Bell's most functional mid-layer's flaunt characteristics essential for comfortable back country activity. The secret to the warmth of these garments not only relies on the high lofting 800 fill power goose down, but the inherent wind shedding ability of the silky 20-denier Ballistic Nylon shell. By blocking a large percentage of wind, a relatively light layer conserves the heat your body is naturally producing.

- CampSaver.com

The MontBell Women's Alpine Light Down Jacket offers alpine enthusiasts extraordinary warmth without sacrificing compressibility. At only 10 ounces, this jacket won't weigh you down, whether it is on your back or in your pack. Superior 800-fill goose down, which is lighter and voluminous than lesser rated down, keeps the cold at bay. This jacket is made from 30D ballistic nylon for wind protection and durability, which is handy when you pull campfire duty on a chilly night; a DWR treatment to shed light moisture and snow. A cross-stitch pattern (sewn through construction) helps reduce bunching to maintain even insulation throughout. Further keep the cold at bay by cinching the hem draw cords and let the micro-fleece lined collar and elastic cuffs do their thing. So, you get more warmth in less space; it's a win-win.

The Alpine Light Down series is our highly functional mid-layer that possesses some essential characteristics for backcountry travel: aggressive warmth to weight ratio, while maintaining exceptional compressibility. Once again by comparing the Alpine Light layer to its fleece counterparts you find them lighter, more compact, and far warmer. The secret to the warmth of this garment is the excellent wind shedding ability of the 30-denier Ballistic nylon shell. By blocking a high amount of wind you are able to conserve the heat your body naturally produces. Cheat the icy blasts this Fall/Winter season and stay toasty whether you frequent the slopes of the backcountry, endure the challenges of a winter camp, or like to look the part around your favorite mountain town. Single-quilt construction reduces weight Standard DWR treatment Micro-fleece lined collar Elastic cuffs seal out drafts Hand warmer pockets Flat coil zipper Stuff sack included High quality 800 fill power hypoallergenic goose down 30-denier Ballistic rip-stop nylon shell 30-denier Ballistic nylon taffeta lining Compresses : 4.8" x 9.6" (stuff sack included) Size: S/ M/ L/ XL Color: BK(Black)/ FRBL(French Blue)/ HONEY(HONEY)/ LTTM(Light Thyme)/ SV(Silver) Weight (size med):9.6 oz. Fill Weight:3.2 oz.

- Vargo Outdoors

The MontBell Alpine Light Down Jacket is Montbell's popular mid-layer. The optimal warmth to weight ratio promises that you can take this jacket on any adventure without worrying about bulk. Highly wind resistant, this jacket will become your go-to down jacket for all of your backcountry pursuits! Sewn thru construction Micro-fleece lined collar Draw cords for hem adjustment hidden in pockets Elastic cuffs seal out drafts 2 zippered hand warmer pockets 2 interior drop-in pockets Standard 25-wash rated DWR treatment Clean looking Reverso coiled zipper

- OMCgear