MontBell Alpine Light Down Parka

Fill Weight 4.3 oz
Insulation 800 fill power goose down
Shell Fabric 30-denier Ballistic rip-stop nylon
Lining Fabric 30-denier Ballistic nylon taffeta
Center Back Length 26.8 in (Size M)
Compressed 5.3 in x 9.5 in (stuff sack included)

For a very warm, well-made, very lighweight down parka,…

Summary

For a very warm, well-made, very lighweight down parka, you'd search far and wide to do better than this one. Wonderful, effective hood. Easily a great parka for winter backpackers and climbers, but also for normal people who just want to stay warm in the winter.

Pros

• 800 fill goose down is extremely efficient while not overly puffy.
  • The hood is one of the best, most comfortable and warmest I've seen.

Cons

• Not seam sealed or waterproof. But the outer fabric is rated at 25 washes.
  • Would be even better if were three or four inches longer.

This is a beautiful-looking and well designed parka. Nice fleece lined pockets (though, oddly, the fleece is only on one side), nicely tailored with a very functional and warm hood.

Last night I took a walk when it was 10° F. Under the alpine light I wore a thin wool sweater and a thin MontBell Thermawrap, hood up. Light thermal bottom, as well. Perhaps I masked how the parka performs, but I wasn't the least bit cold. And if you're exerting yourself much, you'll absolutely be warm enough. In fact, you might need to unzip a little. If you were standing or sitting still in freezing weather, you'd need at least a couple of layers beneath. MontBell's Frost Line Parka might be better for this type of thing.

This parka is extremely comfortable to wear and, very importantly, comfortable to move in and use your arms without hindrance. I wish it were a few inches longer to keep more of me warm, but as it is the hem goes below my belt.

Cuffs are non-adjustable, comfortable elastic, and the bottom cinch and hood cords are easy to adjust. I haven't worn it in any rain or snow yet, but the few flakes I did notice beaded right up. The outer fabric isn't fragile, nor is it for bushwhacking through thorny underbrush.

The 800 fill goose down really delivers the warmth and looks deceptively unpuffy. For the price, this is a great piece of gear. I bought it from MontBell's outlet on their website for a very good price.

I'm guessing the fleece is on the side away from you body? They are counting on your own body heat to be the warmth on the other side.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Ken, my husband and I each have one of these and I agree with you on your 5 star rating.

Great piece of gear. Fit is almost athletic cut. Warmth…

Fabric: 30 denier pertex, i believe
Fill: 800

Great piece of gear. Fit is almost athletic cut. Warmth is awesome, hood is great and it's extremely light. If it's real cold out, I'll wear this under my shell for ice climbing and it does great. and the hood will fit over my helmet, barely.

Excellent construction, nice soft warm pockets and it looks great. And unlike my North Face 900 fill jacket, this Montbell hasn't lost a single feather yet...two years into use.