MontBell Tachyon Anorak

Weight 2.3 oz (Size M)

Ultra light wind shirt, great protection, folds up…

Summary

Ultra light wind shirt, great protection, folds up tiny, not superb on breathability.

Pros

• Ultra light
  • Ultra small
  • Very good protection from cold winds
  • Ballistic nylon very strong
  • Good hood

Cons

• Doesn't breathe very well

Construction:

I can be short with this review — The Tachyon anorak is one of the lightest, if not the lightest, wind shirts on the market. A size Large weighs in at 69 grams.

It folds up the size of a kiwi.

The (very) thin ballistic nylon the Tachyon is made of is very strong. I have worn this for two years, weekly. Not a rip or frayed piece of fabric. Only some discolouration from dirt etc. A friend of mine fell off his bike and opened his hands and forearms, but not this jacket.

A photo of the thin Ballistic Nylon around the shoulder area, often a point where you see wear from shoulder pack straps. Not a scuff after two years of weekly use.

There are no unnecessary items or features on this jacket. It has no pockets or anything. But, it does have an adjustable hem, and a very nicely adjustable hood that gives great coverage.

Flexible reinforcement added to the brim of the hood and cord to cinch it down tight to keep out the wind.

Use:

When in good weather in Alpine environment this jacket can keep the cold winds off of you. It is very windproof. As such it is also not the most breathable (an inherent tradeoff). When cold this jacket is great over a thin fleece.

The DWR is very good, more so than with other wind shirts. I like to wear this jacket in the rain in warm weather or when I move hard in colder (but above 0˚C) weather. I will get wet but not soaked, and stay warm as long as I keep moving. Of course I do have a proper hardshell with me for when I stop. This breathes better than the hardshell though.

Still, I wish it was more breathable. I don't know if it is much of an issue if you are doing more regular treks, where you take your time to enjoy the environment. If you run or climb fast, the Tachyon is still really good a lot of times. But you might find yourself taking it on and off more than you'd like and wishing for a more breathable wind shirt.

Conclusion:

All in all a great backup piece to keep with you that will provide you with a surprising amount of warmth on the move. For what this is designed for I think it is close to perfection.

For two years this has been my favourite and most used item, other than my shoes and my pack. I still take it with me, but often go with a more breathable hoodie, that gives a bit less protection, but works better for what I use it for.

If you want a more breathable (but heavier) wind shirt the Rab Alpine Jacket is a good alternative.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Thanks so much for sharing your review of this, Jakuchu! I love Montbell products and I have been worndering about the Tachyon for quite some time now!

Jakuchu

Glad to hear. Interesting thing is Montbell over here is one of the cheaper/more reasonably priced brands. Imported brands like Patagonia, Arc'teryx and Mammut while pretty pricey anywhere, in Japan are through the roof.

rob5073

Is it Pertex or something else? I have a Rab Cirrus which is similar.

Jakuchu

No it's called Ballistic Nylon. You can read up on it on Montbell's website but it's super thin/light but amazingly strong.

1 month ago

Visit MontBell's Tachyon Anorak page.

The Mont-Bell Tachyon Anorak is a must for any serious Light & Fast trail user. The feather-lite nylon fabric traps hard earned body heat next to your skin and shields you from all but the strongest of winds. Additionally, the sprayed on DWR handles light precipitation just long enough for you to reach shelter before it really lets loose. For those that like to gauge everything they take into the wilderness from the sometimes harsh world of warmth to weight ratio this may be the smartest 2 1/2 ounces you can carry.

- CampSaver.com

The winding trail lures you in as it twists through a rocky mountain maze. Since it gets a little blustery up there from time to time, you toss the MontBell Tachyon Anorak Pullover in your pack for extra protect from the cool breeze and occasional drizzle.