MontBell U.L. Thermawrap Jacket

Great for backcountry travel and a winter mid-layer.

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Summary

Great for backcountry travel and a winter mid-layer.

Pros

• Warmth to weight
  • Long enough in back
  • Good layering piece

Cons

• Pockets don't zip if wearing as outer layer
  • Separate stuff sack
  • Stretchy cuff can rip easily (but helps fit)

I bought this jacket for an insulating layer for backpacking for work in the Central Sierra Nevadas. It gets cold at night and I needed a jacket that wasn't fleece, that I could cook in, sleep in, and put on in the mornings.

This jacket is long enough in the torso (I have a longer torso) and in the arms (some other brands are too short in the arms). Of course right after I bought this, the slightly heavier version of this, the Thermawrap BC Jacket, with zip pockets came out. If I could make a purchasing decision again, I would have leaned more toward the Thermawrap BC in terms of functionality as an outer layer in the backcountry.

For skiing in general, I liked the warmth and wicking properties of this jacket in colder weather under a shell. I paired this with the Rab Latok Jacket and this system is my favorite for colder days doing front and slackcountry skiing.

Down sweaters don't wick in the armpits and chest/back for me. The Montbell UL Thermawrap did.

rated 5.00 of 5 stars All U.L. Thermawrap Jacket versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 7 reviews for other versions of the U.L. Thermawrap Jacket. Read all reviews »