MontBell U.L. Thermawrap Parka

The U.L. Thermawrap is surprisingly warm, has a snug…

Fabric: nylon
Fill: polyester

The U.L. Thermawrap is surprisingly warm, has a snug fit, and is thin enough to squeeze under a trim rain shell-wears more like a shirt than a jacket. I'm not sure what the exact weight is, but it's well under a pound.

I often find myself hiking in heavy rain, so I have always avoided down-filled products. However, this is the first jacket I've found that provides the right combination of lightness, compactability, and insulation with synthetic materials.

I have not had the chance to test it in truly bad weather, but I can say that at around freezing, the jacket is warm enough to wear with a t-shirt so long as one is exerting some amount of energy. The hood is well-designed with a rounded crest that acts to wrap around the head without feeling tight. Moreover, under a rain shell the hood provides excellent insulation for the neck and head. Feels real nice when the wind is kicking up on a ridge, rime is blowing around, and you want to enjoy the view.

This is not the jacket for dead-of-winter wilderness adventuring, but it is just about perfect for what it is: a super lightweight, synthetic jacket for layering.

I want a sleeping bag made of this jacket.

MontBell U.L. Thermawrap Parka

The U.L. Thermawrap Parka has been discontinued.

The MontBell U.L. Thermawrap Parka is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 19, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new synthetic insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.