Moss Tents Outland

I bought this tent for my solo trips through Canada…

Design: 1 person mountaineering tent
Ease of Setup: 2 poles, relatively easy and fast
Weight: 2.3KG(?)
Price Paid: $350 Cdn (?)

I bought this tent for my solo trips through Canada and the U.S. I am 5'7" and would NOT recommend this tent to anyone taller than that. And, in fact, if you are a bit claustrophobic I would not recommend it either.

That aside, I found it relatively light yet bombproof. It has a very taut pitch which spills rain and snow very well, and doesn't move an inch in the wind. Because it is self standing you can set it up fast and crash without bothering with a single peg. The fly snaps onto the tent very easily with a buckle like connection. The floor is extremely durable so you can set it up on the worst ground -- in fact Moss states that you do NOT need a ground sheet.

Because it is bombproof and smaller, it keeps the heat in a little more than most tents. Ventilation is limited to a small mesh window in the rear and a mesh front door. On a hot summer Colorado night this might make things a tad uncomforatble, but I've done it (I sleep cold anyway). I have even pushed this tent into our sub-zero Canadian winters. But below about -20c it does NOT function.

Because the pitch is so tight it is impossible to get the poles into the tent when it cannot stretch. This makes me wonder if it would be valuable on extremely cold mountaineering routes.

This is a great tent for a solo traveler. If you want something lighter for summer I wouldn't suggest it. But if you want a bombproof 3+ season tent, this is the one. What's the next tent I'll buy after this? A bivy sack!

Nice solo design for heavy weather. Typical bomb-proof…

Design: four-season free-standing
Ease of Setup: poles are under tension, set-up can be strenuous
Weight: 5 lbs, 12 oz.

Nice solo design for heavy weather. Typical bomb-proof Moss stitching and coatings. Thrives in strong winds, and is a good tent for a solo kayaker planning to camp on exposed offshore islands.

Suffers from some condensation in warmer weather, due to full coverage fly and heavy waterproof coatings. Vestibule is small, although a hooped vestibule was offered on later models. Tent is a bit heavy by modern standards, but worth the weight if you are camping at high elevation.

Moss is no longer a tent maker, but these are still found on E-Bay, and the Moss tent repair shop is still in business in Camden, ME.

Used the Outland for years. Bought it for a solo tent…

Ease of Setup: easy

Used the Outland for years. Bought it for a solo tent and plenty of room for one. A bit heavy for the size but typical Moss construction--flawless. I am 6'3" and can stretch out sleeping. Used it in quite windy and rainy conditions. Stands up great and never have gotten wet.

If you've owned or used a Moss Tents Outland, please share your experience.

Moss Tents Outland

No price on record.

The Moss Tents Outland is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.