Moss Tents Hooped Outland

rated 5.0 of 5 stars (1)

Moss Tents is no longer in business, and the Hooped Outland has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best four-season tents for 2020.

photo: Moss Tents Hooped Outland four-season tent

Price Reviewers Paid: $300.00

I have the Hooped Outland version. The vestibule has a separate pole and is great. It is tight to get in/out of for me (6'2") but it is bomb proof and long enough that my bag does not press against the tent walls. I got the tent down to 5 lb 10 oz lbs with Ti stakes and no ground cloth. Great for high altitude backpacking.

Pros

• All weather (but never had in snow)
  • Fits tall people
  • Nice color combination
  • Stay warm inside in freezing outside temps
  • Vestibule to keep everything covered at night and away from animals
  • Full cloth interior keeps fly condensation from dripping inside

Cons

• It is on the heavy side. TarpTents has something close that weighs 24 oz!

I have the Hooped Outland version. The vestibule has a separate pole and is great. It is tight to get in/out of for me (6'2"), but it is bomb proof and long enough that my sleeping bag does not press against the tent walls.

The tent weighs 5 lb 10 oz lbs with mostly Ti stakes (two MSR stakes for the vestibule).

Used in CO/WY/UT, can handle any weather. Can set up fairly fast, and is very stable in wind and rain proof. Though in Zion NP in the summer (~100°F during the day) I remove the fly at night!

The seam taping is starting to go after 15 yrs, but all else is good. No condensation issues because of the 100% fabric inside (all mesh can be be closed with fabric). Couple handy storage pockets.

Have been looking for a lighter tent with all the same features, but have not found one yet.

g00se

Welcome to Trailspace, Bob! Thanks for reviewing your well-tested tent. Do you have any pictures you could add for us to see?

Welcome to Trailspace, Bob! It's nice to hear about a Moss tent still in use out there. I'd also love to see some pictures of yours.