Mountain Hardwear Ratio 45

Very good warm weather bag. It packs down small, and…

Summary

Very good warm weather bag. It packs down small, and has good loft for a lightweight summer bag. The zipper only allows it to be used as a quilt for one, as it doesn't extend to the bottom of the bag.

Pros

• Relatively low weight
  • Packability
  • Mesh storage bag included

Cons

• A bit pricey without the discount for 650 down
  • Zipper could be longer

Purchased this bag deeply discounted at $100; the regular retails for $199 and the long for $219. As of June 2017 it is still available with big discounts on many websites.

I sleep warm, so this bag allows me to sleep comfortably down to 40 degrees in wool 150 weight base layer shirt and long johns.

I have the Ratio 45 long left zipper, and I carry it in a Sea to Summit XS eVent dry compression sack.

Below: the Ratio 45 packed in dry compression bag, and the Ratio 45 being removed from dry compression bag.

0615172358a_HDR.jpg
0615172354_HDR.jpg

The bag is a summer bag. It weighs in at less than two pounds (the long comes in at 1 lb 11 oz). It is available in left or right zipper. I chose left because the door on my Kelty Gunnison 1.3 is on that side.

0616170006a_HDR.jpgAbove is the Ratio in its mesh storage sack.

This is my late spring/early fall bag. I use The North Face Aleutian 55 in hot weather when I know I will be sweating in the morning; it is synthetic and therefore allows for machine washing. My cold weather bag is the Kelty Cosmic down 21.

The bag is well made with good loft.

I would recommend it for backpacking in warm weather when carrying a true three season bag provides too much insulation to sleep comfortably.

Thanks for the review, Jerry. Do you think the Ratio's temp rating is accurate?