Mountain House Beef Stroganoff

Weight 0.49 lb
Servings 2.5
Serving Size 1 cup

I love the taste, but the ingredient list is as long…

Summary

I love the taste, but the ingredient list is as long as my...arm.

Pros

• Good flavor
  • Good mix of protein, fat, carbs
  • Super easy to make
  • Very little cleanup
  • Light weight
  • Easily available

Cons

• Hydrolyzed protein?
  • Guar gum?
  • I prefer foods with less complex ingredients
  • Expensive
  • When I'm hungry they don't fill me up.

I don't often eat Mountain House (MH) foods because I find them to be too expensive compared to things I can make myself or buy off the grocery store shelves. Saying that, I occasionally eat this stuff on the trail when I want something VERY LIGHT and something that makes NO DIRTY DISHES. This simplicity comes with a price but when I need to simplify my cooking (no dishes) with as little weight as possible, I bite the bullet and bring Mountain House meals along.

I hate doing dishes, I'm lazy. Eating the reconstituted meal straight from the pouch makes me happy. Sometimes I am also in a place where doing dishes is difficult where washing water is scarce so it can even be a necessity, at least that's what I tell myself.

The pouch these meals come in are extremely tough. I have been eating these meals occasionally for about ten years and I have never punctured one accidentally. When I am done eating the pouch makes a good garbage bag and seals to keep the stink inside.

One of my issues with these meals is that the ingredient list is long, complex and may contain things that aren't especially good for me. Protein that has be hydrolyzed: digested in acid, makes me worry about how healthy this stuff is. Of course I eat glow in the dark mac n' cheese and gummi bears on the trail too so maybe I'm just picking on MH unfairly.

The other issue is cost. I can buy a LOT more food for the price of one MH meal but it won't be as light or easy to prepare so I guess convenience has a cost.

One more thing I DO like about MH as a company is that they are headquartered here in the Pacific NW, in Albany OR. I like local when I can get it.

Taste:

I almost forgot this important category.  I love stroganoff anyway and I am not a picky eater so take this with a grain of salt, but I really like the taste of these things. I wish they were about 1.5x the size they currently are though because I get HUNGRY when I hike or climb. SERIOUSLY hungry. The idea that this pouch is 2 servings is laughable for me. In the field I could easily eat two, but I don't because that would equal the price of a dinner at a decent restaurant. I'm lazy and cheap.

I keep one or two of these meals in my desk at work and when I am starving and have no cash for a lunch off-site. This occurred the other day. Here are some of the pictures:

I can even find these at that great outdoor gear supplier: WalMart

It looks almost like real food. The sauce falls to the bottom so stir it up well before eating.

Any stroganoff near my mouth doesn't stand a chance.

Conclusion:

If you need energy, fat and protein in a light package that cooks easily with little cleanup AND you have the coin to splurge for this stuff, go for it! Not all of their meals are as yummy as this one though, so try them before you go someplace so you won't get stuck eating something you hate.

Lightweight, tasty, good texture, filling, rehydrates…

Price Paid: 7.50

Summary

Lightweight, tasty, good texture, filling, rehydrates well.

Pros

• Taste – Excellent
  • Good texture

Cons

• Salt to taste
  • Propak version would be nice.

Beef-Stroganoff.jpg

Excellent taste, good texture, filling. Lightweight and packs well. Boil-in-a-bag means no simmering, so all the dehydrated meals save on fuel. Especially on a long trip, that can be a major benefit. Excellent for backpacking, and I would even bring this one along for a campground overnighter.

Love those Mountain House cooking times. Unlike other brands, they all seem to run to 8-9 minutes, and they never seem to overcook. I usually wrap a towel around the package to hold the heat in, but I've never had a problem with this one being fully cooked. The Beef Stroganoff is simple to prepare - just add boiling water and wait - and the result is good texture and great flavour. Ground beef seems to rehydrate fairly well, and the noodles and sour cream sauce provide something that sticks to your ribs.

I cooked these up at 2 servings per package, and with a bun to soak up the leftover sauce, that seemed just about right. I would suggest using a bit less water than recommended (1 3/4 vs. 2 cups per pkg) but a bit of extra sauce doesn't hurt. I prefer the lower-profile bags that Mountain House uses - easier to get down into the corners than the taller Backpackers Pantry bags.

Mountain House Beef Stroganoff is an excellent base for a complete backpacking meal. It offers 320 calories per serving at 2 servings per package, although after a long day of hiking you might want to eat one all by yourself. It's certainly tasty enough.

This meal tastes great! Just the right amount of seasoning,…

This meal tastes great! Just the right amount of seasoning, and the meat/noodles taste like high-end chow.

What can I say. How many of you have had Hamburger…

What can I say. How many of you have had Hamburger Helpers Beef Stroganoff? Well I think this is actually better. I was wanting/needing to try out a dehydrated and pre-packaged food so I went to the local outdoor store and saw this. I knew that I liked beef stroganoff so I thought I would give it a try.

For just boiling and adding water and waiting a few minutes this stuff is pretty tasty! Just add a little black pepper [for me at least] for flavor and enjoy. I would say that if you want pre-packaged foods for your trips, this is a no-brainer!

D

This stuff rocks!! It's by far the best MH product…

This stuff rocks!! It's by far the best MH product I've ever had. I look forward to eating 2 servings of this at the end of a long day!! 10 in my book!

I admit to having limited experience with backpacking…

Price Paid: $7-ish

Summary

I admit to having limited experience with backpacking type foods, but I purchased this product and one of a different brand and was amazed at the difference in the two. Mountain House (MH) was by far a better product in both taste and appearance.

This product would easily be a satisfying meal on the trail or in the bunker and I would recommend MH as the go to for anyone who loves Beef Stroganoff.

Pros

• Ease of prep
  • Flavor
  • Shelf life
  • Real meat

Cons

• It's an instant meal. Never as good as fresh.
  • Big eaters be advised. This was not enough, 2 if 1 is me

I purchased this product and one of a different brand and was amazed at the difference in the two. The Mountain House (MH) brand had by far better flavor and was lower in sodium to boot, but higher in iron and other vitamins you find in REAL MEAT. Even the appearance of MH's beef stroganoff was superior with larger noodles and what I felt was a more appetizing color, or it could have been the big chunks of meat and pieces of mushroom.

Prep was very easy. Boil your H2O. Pour it in the bag and in a few minutes enjoy. Put your bag in your trash receptacle, give your spoon another lick, and boom your done.

The MH meal was listed as being for two. Not if one is a big eater like me. The meal for two was just the right size for one big eater.

This product would easily be a satisfying meal on the trail or in an emergency preparedness kit and I would recommend MH as the go to for anyone who loves Beef Stroganoff.

Welcome to Trailspace, Roger! Thanks for the review.

A classic staple of any campfire. If you have been…

Summary

A classic staple of any campfire.

• Taste

Cons

• Sodium

If you have been camping, you have probably had MH foods and of those foods, I have seen the Beef Stroganoff consumed the most by me and my campmates. It is tasty, quick and easy to prepare. The MH bag can hold the water/contents pretty well with no leakage.

The only bad thing about MH and this product is the amount of sodium, it is a LOT. Apparently MH is making lower sodium products and I have found other non-MH products with lower sodium, so just be prepared for some great tasting food that isn't necessarily good for ya.

These freeze-dried meals are the best of their kind…

These freeze-dried meals are the best of their kind that I have EVER tasted. They are lightweight to transport, made from quality ingredients and easy to make. We just had to boil the water needed, pour it into the bag and wait for a few minutes. The beef stroganoff tasted great; I would just make sure that you bring the water filter needed to have the water for the food.

Editor's Note: The reviewer represents an online retailer that carries this product and brand.

Tÿcho

CampingMaxx reviewed three mountain house products and each has an identical review except that the type of food is changed in the fourth sentence.

Beef stroganoff is one of the old stand-bys in the…

Beef stroganoff is one of the old stand-bys in the world of backpacking food. Generally at least tolerable, it's been around in some freeze-dried form or another for more than 35 years. (That's how long it's been since I first had it.)

Mountain House's Pro-Pack version of the dish is of the "cook in the pouch" variety--just add hot water, seal, let it sit the prescribed time, and eat from the pouch. Very convenient, little-to-no cleanup.

The flavor and texture of the meal is passably decent, though nothing to write home about. The bits of beef were rather chewy (something perhaps to be ameliorated by a bit longer "cooking time"), and the noodles, small and curly, were firm enough without also being tooth-testers. The food volume was about right for one person's entree. (This the opinion of a 75-kg male.) Packed volume is as small as can reasonably be expected.

Other Pro-Pack meals by MH seem to be as good or better, BTW.