Mountain House Chicken Teriyaki with Rice Pro-Pak

A quick and filling meal for a backpacking adventure.

Summary

A quick and filling meal for a backpacking adventure. Could be a little tastier

Pros

• Great packaging
  • Easy to prepare

Cons

• Spices not consistent

My son and I took this item on a backpacking adventure to use as our dinner. I like the fact that the item is vacuum packed and dried so it weighs almost nothing. It uses boiling water to re-hydrate and prepare so that makes it a snap. It was a simple process to prepare this meal and I was looking forward to it.

However, when I opened the packaging it was LOADED with RED PEPPERS!!! Why is it that manufactures insist on putting red peppers into everything? I personally do not like the flavor of red peppers and had I known that it contained them I probably would have chosen a different item. My fault for not reading the packaging more closely.

So, after waiting the required amount of time to 'cook' the meal we dug in. It tasted OK but I really couldn't find much 'chicken' in this meal. I think I found about 5 or 6 tiny pieces of chicken throughout the entire two servings. The meal tasted OK, but I found the taste was inconsistent (perhaps I should have mixed it more).

Overall, I probably won't get this item again.

I've given up on pre-packaged meals, except for the occasional sale item. I've started dehydrating my own food at home and greatly prefer it. Thanks for the review!