Mountainsmith Ghost

I bought this pack in the spring of 2001. I carried…

Design: front-loading internal
Size: 3000 cubic inches
Number of Pockets: 5
Max. Load Carried: 40lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 7"

I bought this pack in the spring of 2001. I carried this pack on the entire PCT, 800 miles of the Florida trail, and the whole AT. A total of 5700 miles. I carried as much as 35-40 lbs. in it but usually around 20-25 lbs.

There are lots of adjustments and it takes the weight off of my shoulders well. It's light and offers good support. It's a front loader so it's easy to get to your stuff. It has two mesh water bottle pockets on either side of the pack that can be reached easily while hiking. It has a small internal zippered pocket and a hydration bladder pocket. It has an ice axe loop. It also has a shock cord that holds my closed cell foam pad. The zipper is tough and withstood being stuffed to it's full capacity. It's the best carrying lightweight pack I tried.

The problems I have had with this pack are:

The straps rubbed rough spots on my clavicles so its straps are not as comfy as some packs.

I have to constantly pull on the straps because they loosen all the time.

The biggest problem I have had with this pack is the fiberglass rod poked a hole in the bottom of my pack and came out just 2 weeks after buying it. I called Mountainsmith and they had me carry the rod with me until they could send me a loner pack on up the trail. The loner pack's fiberglass rod broke before I even got back my repaired backpack back. It continued to wear in the same spots and I tried to reinforce them with nylon tape and duct tape. I can now stick my fingers through the holes where it has worn through. I called Mountainsmith and they told me to send it to them. They then called and said that it would be really expensive to fix and that I would have to pay for it. They offered to trade my backpack for a coupon for 30 percent off a new pack. So they do not stand behind their "lifetime warranty." Everyone I met had the same problem with this pack so it is clearly a design flaw.

One other thing the pack fabric is de-laminating.

Overall I have been happy with the pack but I don't really have good feelings about the company and their "lifetime" warranty.

Despite the tempting low weight, I recommend that…

Design: top-loading
Height of Owner: 5'8"

Despite the tempting low weight, I recommend that you pass on this pack in favor of one featuring a pivoting waistbelt. Consider Arc'teryx Khamsin 52.

CLOSEOUTS . One of the lightest multi-day packs around, Mountainsmith's Ghost backpack is ideal for minimalist backpackers. Breathable mesh padding on suspension relieves pressure points as compression and sternum straps steady the load. Front-loading pack Water-tight main zip compartment Bungee front Adjustable straps for quick storage items Mesh side pockets Tool loop Fits torsos: 17 to 19- ” Size: Approx. 24- x13x6- ” Capacity: 2800 cu.in. Weight: 2 lb. 2 oz. Fabric: Nylon CLOSEOUTS . China.

- Sierra Trading Post

The Mountainsmith Ghost backpack is a mid-sized, full suspension pack with the versatility to serve as a day pack, an overnighter, or an ultralight backpack.

The Ghost is an ultra-lightweight pack that delivers minimalist Suspension with big-time comfort. Perfect for adventure racers or those who just really like to travel light. Panel load for light weight and ease of access Full Suspension allows for a carrying load of up to 30 lbs Interior hydration reservoir pocket with shingled exit port for effortless hydration Side mesh pockets for water bottles and tent poles Side compression straps compress pack and allow for adding on accessories or gear Ice axe loop Quick-store bungie LT Volume: 3000 ci LT Weight: 2 lbs 4 oz LT Torso: 19in.-22in. MT Volume: 2800 ci MT Weight: 2 lbs 2 oz MT Torso: 17in.-19.5in.

ENGINEERED FOR THE FASTPACKING; MINIMALIST DEMANDS OF THE THRU-HIKER. FEATURES: Panel load

- Snow Leopard Mountain Sports

Perfect for adventure racers yet large enough for a weekend's worth of equipment, this pack weighs less than 2-1/2 pounds! Panel-loading design with Delrin Transfer Load system distributes weight evenly. Mountainsmith's patented Delta Compression System of triangulated straps on waistbelt compresses weight into the lumbar area for a stable load. Interface suspension matches the cut of the waistbelt with the packbag for a integrated, close fit to the body. Ideal for fast-packing, the full suspension allows carrying a load of up to 30 lbs. Three-layer Dimension Polyant Tenacity Nylon fabric is half the weight of most nylons and better resists water, abrasion and UV-degradation. Water-resistant urethane coating helps protect contents in poor weather conditions. Lightweight, waterproof, urethane-coated YKK® zippers keep water out. Drink water as you walk: interior mesh hydration reservoir pocket has a shingled exit port to shed rain (reservoir sold separately). Mesh side pockets keep trailside essentials within easy reach; quick-store bungie on the back. Ice axe loop centered in the back. Compression straps secure both large and small loads for increased stability.

Mountainsmith Ghost

The Ghost has been discontinued.

The Mountainsmith Ghost is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 22, 2007 at Sierra Trading Post.