Mountainsmith Lariat 65

Volume 4275ci/70L (Extended: 4607ci/75.5L)
Weight 5 lb.
Torso 17”-22”

Durable, comfortable, great value. Huge duffle style…

Summary

Durable, comfortable, great value. Huge duffle style front hatch into main pouch. Detachable summit pack, fully adjustable.

Pros

• Loading ease
  • Plenty of room
  • Good value
  • Detachable summit pack

Cons

• Summit pack could use a chest strap

I am a little under 5'10" #205 and this is a very comfortable pack with #50+. I have plenty of adjustment both directions. Have no doubt it would fit someone 5'5" or 6'4" as well as me, maybe even a broader range than that. Hip belt, shoulder straps, and sternum strap all have a broad range of adjustment.

65 liter pack has no problem holding my 0 deg. Teton sleeping bag, Drifter two tent, Therm-a-Rest pad, Therm-a-Rest pillow, Katadyn purifier, Jetboil, coffee, Mountain House meals for three to five days, alarm clock/radio, spare boots, collapsible water can and LED lantern, all in main pouch with room to spare with the extendible top. Top pouch holds my clothes for four days and journal + extra socks.

Summit pack holds the things that I will need on day hikes: water bottle, rope, camera, snacks/lunch, Frogg Togg rain jacket, some first aid supply, extra knives and headlamp. Top or front load the large duffle type zipper opening into the main pouch makes loading and organizing this pack a breeze. As well as making it possible to get items out of pack without pulling everything out of the pack.

With the load adjuster straps and compression straps the load is easy to adjust on the go, making a very stable, comfortable ride. All straps, zippers, and pockets are well built, durable, and highly functional with ease of use.

The summit pack has its own shoulder straps attached and even though I would like to have a sternum strap this pack has been the perfect answer for my day trip needs. When I'm stumbling through rock slides and traveling hard on steep rough ground sometimes the straps on my summit pack seem to be sitting too far out on my shoulders, like they're trying to slip off. Not uncomfortable, and have never left my shoulder even when falling. I think it is just I'm not used to the less buckled down solid feel.

Overall I am more than pleased with this pack. It is like a prayer answered. Love it, can't say enough good about it. If the chest strap was any kind of problem it would be simple and cheap to add one.

I bought this bag through E-Bags on sale $136 for blue; would have rather had the green, but it was a considerable price difference.

All I have left to say is I have packed it on several short get-back-in-shape 1.5-mile fast hikes and one good rough terrain hike in wind rain and snow. Compared to my old pack I had to check to make sure I was still here on earth with the rest of you good folks and not dead wandering around in heaven. GREAT PACK. Good job, Mountainsmith!

maddix

I picked up 2 of the green ones off of Amazon back in April '14 for $166.04 total (for my son and I). We've used them a few times already, with a big 6 day / 5 night backpacking trip in the Pecos Wilderness coming up this August. Perhaps after that I'll write a review, but yours pretty much nails it. Very comfortable pack with 50+ pounds, great access thanks to the duffel like zippers, etc., etc.

1 month ago

Available January 2010. The Lariat 65 utilizes 23 recycled 16-ounce plastic bottles. It is sized for week-long or longer backpacking trips with a detachable daypack for shorter excursions.

Special Features: Detachable summit pack with backpanel hydration sleeve. U-shaped zippered access into main compartment. Front panel snowboard and snowshoe carry. Top panel attachment points.

Visit Mountainsmith's Lariat 65 page.

The Moutainsmith Lariat features a detachable daypack for day hikes to the summit. Mountainsmith's unique U-shaped zippered access to the main compartment enables fast packing and easy organization. Made with 450d ReDura, the Lariat 65 utilizes 23 recycled 16-ounce plastic bottles. Save the planet, go backpacking!

- CampSaver.com

The Mountainsmith Lariat 65 Pack is a true workhorse for week-long backpacking trips and adventure travel. It comes with a detachable daypack for shorter excursions and summit pushes.

As essential to backcountry enthusiasts as a horse is to a cowboy, the Mountainsmith Lariat 65 Backpack is the efficient way to travel over rough terrain while packing heavy loads. The ergonomic waistbelt and suspension systems are all geared towards effectively transferring the load onto your hips for maximum comfort while the Anvil Airway System wicks away moisture and provides ventilation. Even better, the detachable day pack allows you to bag peaks and explore high-alpine terrain after setting up base camp.

NEW FOR 2010! The Lariat 65 Backpack (Recycled) from Mountainsmith is the workhorse of the line, sized for week-long or longer backpacking trips with a detachable daypack for shorter excursions and summit pushes. Our unique U-shaped zippered access to main compartment enables fast packing and easy organization. Made with 450d ReDura, the Lariat 65 utilizes 23 recycled 16-ounce plastic bottles. Save the planet, go backpacking!

- Altrec Outdoors