Mountainsmith Rain Cover

Does what is suppose to do—keep your gear dry, but…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Came with pack)
Price Paid: Came with pack

Summary

Does what is suppose to do—keep your gear dry, but there are better products out there.

Pros

• Self-storage pouch
  • Adjustable cord fits over external pack "extras"
  • Keeps gear dry in constant rain

Cons

• Heavy
  • Pricey
  • Does not fit other packs well

This rain cover was included with my first backpack—a discontinued MS external frame pack. Being a novice at the time, I went with what they gave me.

My first week-long backpacking trip included 6 days of continual drizzle and light snow. I was using a really pathetic excuse for a tent, and the pack was forced to sit out at night in the never-ending wet. My pack and its contents stayed dry the entire week.

With the drawcord, I was able to easily fit this over the sleeping pad strapped to the top of the pack and the sleeping bag attached to the bottom. At night, when those items were in the tent with me, I had no problem cinching it down over the pack as it sat out in the rain. Again, everything stayed dry.

Isle-Royale-2007-254.jpg

I now have too many backpacks for one man—all internal frame. I have found the cover just doesn't fit all that well. If you note the picture above, the external frame pack produced a boxy shape that the cover worked well with (It looks like I was carrying an entire house on my back—at least 50lbs. What a newbie!). The shape of an internal frame back just doesn't fit as nicely. I've made it work, but it was always too loose in some area.

When I finally decided to try something different, I found a lighter and cheaper rain cover ($9 at my local Walmart) that worked just as well and fits all of my internal frame packs much better.

This isn't a bad rain cover. I keep it in my "loaner gear" for new hikers, and as I pass on my external frame back to my [almost] Boy Scout, he'll have a rain cover that fits it like a glove.

The seems are not taped which could get your pack…

Size: Rain Cover I (2000-4000 cu. in.)
Height of Owner: 5'5

The seems are not taped which could get your pack wet. There is an integrated bag with the cover but it is hard to get the pack cover back into the small bag.

Visit Mountainsmith's Rain Cover page.

Grab the Mountainsmith Rain cover to make sure your gear stays dry, even though you might be getting soaked. Comes in four sizes.

- CampSaver.com

Nothing is worse than crawling into a wet sleeping bag inside a wet tent and opening a soggy book. Keep your pack dry with the Mountainsmith Rain Cover. These waterproof covers feature full-circumference drawcords, hook-and-loop closures, and integrated stuff sacks.

On Sale. Mountainsmith Rain Cover FEATURES of the Mountainsmith Rain Cover Integrated stuff sack Taped seams Full circumference draw cord SPECIFICATIONS of the Mountainsmith Rain Cover 190t Taffeta Nylon body fabric SPECIFICATIONS for Extra Small Weight: 3.84 oz / 0.108 kg Fit Range: Red Rock 25 / Colfax 25 Clear Creek 20 / Wazee 20 / Scream 25 / Wraith 25 Volume: 1000 - 1800 cubic inches / 15 - 30 liter SPECIFICATIONS for Small Weight: 4 oz / 0.113 kg Fit Range: Approach 40 and 50 / Spectre 35 / Mayhem 35 Volume: 1800 - 2500 cubic inches / 30 - 40 liter SPECIFICATIONS for Medium Weight: 4.16 oz / 0.12 kg Fit Range: Juniper 55 / Lookout 50 Youth Scout / Youth Pursuit / Ghost 50 / Phantom 40 / Haze 50 Volume: 2500 - 3600 cubic inches / 40-60 liter SPECIFICATIONS for Large Weight: 4.32 oz / 0.122 kg Fit Range: Apex 80 / Lariat 65 / Mystic 65 Volume: 3600 - 6000 cubic inches / 60 - 100 liter

Your Mountain Smith Backpack will stay dry, even while you're getting soaked with the Mountain Smith Rain Cover. Choose from 4 sizes to fit your pack perfectly.

- Altrec Outdoors