MSR StormKing

Excellent 4-season tent that is bomb proof shelter…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Summary

Excellent 4-season tent that is bomb proof shelter for 3-5 people. Also good summer tent with use of MSR Vista Wing or similar tarp.

Pros

• 1. Incredibly strong
  • 2. Very resistant to bad weather
  • 3. Very waterproof
  • 4. Roomy 64 sq ft symmetrical shape
  • 5. Nice vestibule
  • 6. Comes with several mesh pockets and gear loft

Cons

• 1. Vestibule guyout interferes with egress
  • 2. Getting poles into sleeves tough in bad weather
  • 3. Too heavy for backpacking moderate to long distances

Like the other users I give it big kudos for strength. It is also a great summer tent when used with an MSR Vista Wing or similar tarp.  The reason is it is really what is known as a convertible 4-season tent due to the windows that zip open to reveal the no-seem mesh for flow through ventilation.

This tent is big enough to hold cots in the summer format I just mentioned as well as in the winter format and makes a great tent for two adults and gear.

I have the pre-2008 (non orange version) and like the incredible strength of the 5 equal poles in the full pole sleeves under tension. The newest version features pole clips vs sleeves so there is a slight reduction in strength for much faster and easier setup. Probably a good idea as it can be a pain to set up the older versions in high wind.

The only reason no 5 stars is the vestibule is a little difficult to be into with the guyout line in place right over the door.

We love this product! It is easy to setup and take…

Design: Four-season freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: Easy
Weight: 15 lbs 3 oz

We love this product! It is easy to setup and take down. The venting works great. It is warm and roomy. Fits my wife, two kids and I on our therm-a-rest pads, with room to spare if some gear needs to be brought in. Solid, high quality construction. When cinched down and the guylines set, the true genius of its design is revealed. It becomes incredibly rigid. We have not seen its performance in high winds or snow but standard mountain wind and rain did not give us pause or concern.

We were unsure about it when we first bought it (due to the lack of reviews to be found), but after several practice setups in the yard we were eager to go camping. Upon multiple use our excitement has not diminished.

For its size, I would say that this is a light tent. Decent space in the vestibule. Packs were stored, yet room for entry and exit remained. I had to buy 17 extra groundhog stakes and 100' of Kelty Triptease to fully guy out the fly. MSR only provides 8 stakes for perimeter staking and five guylines for basic guyouts. I am not happy about the extra cost, but we got the tent for a great price and the extra weight of the additional line and stakes are not noticeable. For a backpacking family of four, the weight and size of this tent is perfect. I could not find a better all season 4-5 person tent that could be taken in our packs. It still consumes a lot of my pack but is not impossible to make work. Just takes some clever packing.

Warm, strong, roomy, quality.

Capacity: 4 - 5 People
Floor + Vestibule Area: 64 + 20 sq. ft./5.9 + 1.8 sq. m
Interior Peak Height: 64 in./160 cm
Minimum Weight: 14 lbs. 2 oz./6.4 kg
Packaged Weight: 15 lbs. 3 oz./6.9 kg

I bought this tent around 8 years ago when it was…

Price Paid: $700+

I bought this tent around 8 years ago when it was owned and manufactured by Moss Tents. The one noticeable difference is our tent has wonderful windows all around it and a skylight, all of which can zip close.

My kids for the last 7 years have slept in this tent from May through October here in the wet NW. It's a wonderful, solid, tent. Not the easiest to put up because of the long pole sleeves but truly bomb proof. Ours is finally wearing out after approximately 1050 days of use.

If you've owned or used a MSR StormKing, please share your experience.