User Review: MSR WhisperLite Internationale
Price Paid: USD 90
The MSR WhisperLite Internationale is a lightweight compact stove which is easy to use. It comes with a maintenance kit and user manual enabling trouble shooting while being off the beaten track.
The stove comes with the standard 22oz/650ml - 4.9oz/139g fuel bottle (USD 10.95), whereas a bigger size (33oz/975ml - 7.3oz/207g, USD 11.95) or smaller size (11oz/325ml - 2.8oz/79g, USD 9.95) are available in stores.
Another optional item is the MSR Trillium Stove Base (Weight: 2.8oz/80g Size: 6.5" x 5" (16.5cm x 12.7cm), USD 19.95), allowing to level the stove on uneven surface and (more important) stabilize your stove when preparing your meal when being on snow or ice.
I have used the WhisperLite Internationale between 1997 - 2001 when travelling/backpacking in Norway, New Zealand, Washington, British Colombia, Yukon and Alaska, as well as in the Belgian Ardennes.
In total, I have used the stove (fuel type used: regular unleaded) for about 100 meals, with the following results in terms of usability:
* the WhisperLite Internationale is reliable in both dry and wet weather conditions;
* it requires some practice to get the stove started. When releasing too much fuel at the start, the initial flame will appear big (yellow) and with a lot of smoke/soot. So take some distance from your tent, just to be safe.
* when the stove has been used and the fuel supply has been stopped, you have to be carefull when getting started again. The fuel will vaporize on the extremely hot stove and when applying your match to the stove, a big initial flame might be the result.
* The stove frame will be covered by soot, implying that you have to clean it once in a while. Since the stove comes Standard in a black MSR bag, the soot will not dirten the content of your backpack but only your hands when setting up the stove.
* Due to the fact that the WhisperLite can use White Gas, kerosene, jet fuel or auto gas, you will be able to find fuel to cook your meal, in all corners of the globe.
* The 1st WhisperLite purchased in '97 in The Netherlands came standard with a bag containing the stove and the fuel bottle. Although the fuel bottle never leaked, I was pleased with that bag. When I bought in 2000 a 2nd WhisperLite (a guest of the hostel in Seward, Alaska, took my 1st WhisperLite), that MSR cover did unfortunately only fit the stove.
The WhisperLite Internationale is a reliable, compact, robust and lightweight stove. The stove is easy to use and the value for money is excellent.