MSR Wisperlite International

I purchased my first Wisperlite over 15 years ago…

I purchased my first Wisperlite over 15 years ago and used it on every trip I went on for several years. I ended up losing it during a move and replaced it with a Simmerlite.

At the time I was excited about getting the lightweight low drag stove but I never liked it as well as I liked my Wisperlite. Sure it worked well once you got it primed, but priming the Wisperlite was always easier.

I recently sold off some gear that I didn't use as much as I should and the Simmerlite was one of the first to go. After thinking about it, I decided that going without a liquid gas stove was a mistake so I bought another one. Enter the Wisperlite International.

Sure, it isn't as light as the Simmerlite and its looks are dated but this stove trumps all others MSR makes. Why? Because it's stupid simple, easy to operate and will run on just about every kind of fuel there is.

I tried canister stoves on a couple of trips but for me, nothing beats the smell of white gas in the morning and the gentle roar of the Wisperlite makes me just as hungry as the smell of bacon in a frying pan. Return to the classic.

If you've owned or used a MSR Wisperlite International, please share your experience.

MSR Wisperlite International

The MSR Wisperlite International is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new stove/cookware, check out the best reviewed current models.