Mystery Ranch G7000

This pack is unsurpassed for heavy, bulky loads. Why…

Price Paid: list price

Summary

This pack is unsurpassed for heavy, bulky loads.

Pros

• Great volume
  • Access
  • Durability

Cons

• None

Why own such a large heavy pack? Here's my reason. I hike in the Sierra where a bear barrel is required in most places. Food is the heaviest item I carry. For trips lasting 2 to 3 weeks I use a Bearikade expedition bear barrel, the largest model. It will fit either horizontally or vertically in the G7000, which also has a side zipper for easier access to the main compartment.

The pack will also accommodate all my other gear such as tent, sleeping bag, mattress, clothing and cooking gear.  Two large vertical pockets on the back and the lid allow storage of gear needed during the day, and the vertical pockets can hold and protect my tent poles.

Both the G5000 and G6000 are excellent packs and would probably suffice. However, the weight difference compared to the G7000 is nominal considering the weight of food. Most thruhikers using ultralight gear must resupply every few days, and their packs do not accommodate any but the smallest food barrels.

By all means if only going for several days then use trip appropriate gear.  If planning a longer trip such as a thru hike of the John Muir trail without more than one resupply then this pack is excellent. Construction is superb and the harness is infinitely adjustable for a perfect fit.

I like the freedom of knowing that I can linger for a few days, or explore that side valley without rushing so as to not run out of food. I have plenty of ultralight gear, but when thoughts turn to really getting away and living in the backcountry for a spell my eyes turn to this pack. For shorter trips I use the MR Trance, also a superb pack.

If you've owned or used a Mystery Ranch G7000, please share your experience.

Mystery Ranch G7000

The Mystery Ranch G7000 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at US Outdoor Store.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.