This pack is perfect for the minimalist at heart,…

Summary

This pack is perfect for the minimalist at heart, but beware of bounce with a smartphone. I'd buy it again even with its shortcomings.

UPDATE 7/9/15: Taped seams have separated all over the pack. My local running store replaced the first one for free and the 2nd one has just completely fallen apart as well. I spoke with Nathan Hydration and they have offered to send a replacement free of charge. GREAT customer service...this pack...we'll see.

Pros

• Simple
  • Expandable
  • Key ring

Cons

• Buckle slips somewhat
  • Bounces and flops with iPhone 6
  • Taped seams separate easily

UPDATE 7/9/15: Taped seams have separated all over the pack. My local running store replaced the first one for free and the second one has just completely fallen apart as well. I spoke with Nathan Hydration and they have offered to send a replacement free of charge...GREAT customer service...this pack...we'll see.

I'm quite disappointed in the quality with it falling apart twice now, but I'm willing to give it another go so long as it isn't costing me extra. Thanks to Nathan and to Fleet Feet for the great service.

This pack is all you need when you don't need much. I like to run with a car key, cell phone and some cash/card. For anything long enough to need more stuff, I carry a different pack.

The Mirage is wonderfully expandable and will hold odd shaped items and much larger things than you might imagine. It weighs nearly nothing and dries out very quickly. It has a built-in keyring that's nice for peace of mind when you're rummaging through on the run. It has interior pockets that I could see being helpful for salt tabs or the like, but I've never used the pockets so I can't rightfully comment.

Unfortunately, this thing bounces like crazy with my iPhone 6. I have to tighten it down and wedge it against my hip to stop it from bouncing and flopping on the run. It seems that this happens because Nathan chose to have most of the expandability towards the bottom, leaving the support straps only at the top and not able to really wedge the phone against my waist/back.

I don't think you'd have this problem with much of anything other than a large smartphone, but that's what I use it for and it is annoying. I would recommend buying regardless, but hope that Nathan comes up with a better solution before the next version.

Nathan-Mirage-1.jpg
Nathan-Mirage-3.jpg

Nathan-Mirage-4.jpg

Nathan-Mirage-5.jpg

Nathan-Mirage-6.jpg

Nathan-Mirage-7.jpg

Nathan-Mirage-8.jpg

Care to post some pictures? I'd like to see more of this belt.

Brett Cottrell

No problem. I've added several pictures to show the features that I mentioned. The pack was not at capacity with an iPhone 6, cash, key, headphones and headlamp. I likely could still have shoved a pair of gloves or a buff in there.

Great! Thank you.

I'm a new runner, and I'm curious why you wouldn't just wear a hydration belt and leave the water bottles at home for short runs.

Thanks for the review, Brett! I've often wondered about using one of these for short runs.

Thanks for the update on this, Brett.