Necky Manitou 14

This is an excellent boat that tracks well, and has…

Price Paid: $850 (approximately )

Summary

This is an excellent boat that tracks well, and has excellent primary and secondary stability. My wife and I use them along the New England Coastline fairly close to shore and in the bays and estuaries. The skegs work extremely well on windy days or in currents.

Pros

• Tracking
  • Speed
  • Stability
  • Skeg
  • Storage space

Cons

• Weight, but it's a plastic boat and to be expected.

My wife and I love these boats. We started kayaking in flat water lakes, and calm rivers about 10 years ago. At that time we had 9' recreational kayaks (Wilderness Systems Rascals) which were fine for our needs at that time. However as we started to kayak in the ocean, we quickly learned we needed bigger kayaks. So we decided to rent for several years as we kayaked in CT, RI, MA, and NH. This gave use the chance to try several different brand and sizes of kayaks.

By the time we were ready to purchase new touring kayaks, we were pretty sure about the size, but really not much more. We were fortunate to have a kayak shop that helped "fit" you to a kayak and then try it in the water. (shop was located along a calm section of river).

I was pretty sure I wanted a different kayak in a longer size. However after trying it and a couple of others I thought I would try the 14' Manitou my wife had picked out. There was no comparison for me. The Manitou just seemed perfect. The tracking, the speed, the ease of handling just felt perfect.

We bought two 14' Manitou's. My wife is 5' tall and weighs 112 lbs. I'm 5'7" and weigh over 200 lbs. Yet these kayaks fit us both perfectly. The adjustable seat and foot pegs are great. We have had them for over 2 years and have been on a lot of great trips. Although they are plastic boats, the 14' size makes them very manageable when putting them on the roof rack.

I would highly recommend this kayak, however I strongly suggest you find a kayak shop that lets you try before you buy. You'll never know how a kayak really fits or feels until you get to paddle it.

Paul, a photo of you or your wife using the kayak would be a great addition to this review!

Take on long stretches of open water when you're behind the helm of the Necky Kayaks Manitou 14 Kayak. Long and streamlined, the sleek hull of the Manitou borrows its efficient shape from Necky's line of sea kayaks. With storage enough for an overnight trip and a drop-down skeg for improved tracking in windy conditions, this boat has something to offer for all levels of paddlers, from the novice to the experienced boater.

With a retractable skeg to improve tracking, the 14 foot Necky? Manitou performs great in both lakes and big water. Nice stability for a moderately long kayak. Hull design is perfect for novices and intermediate paddlers. Kayak made of durable polyethylene. Retractable skeg helps kayak maintain a straight course amidst winds and currents. Extended keel also aids tracking. High volume bow provides a drier ride through surf. Bow and stern hatches with bulkheads. Two storage compartments for multi-day voyages. Compartments also aid flotation. Extrasport® XtraComfort; seat with ergonomic high-seat back. Recess in deck accommodates paddle float rescue. Bow and stern deck rigging for storing bulky gear/clothes topside. Perimeter line gives you something to hold onto in case of capsize. Seals® spray skirts and cockpit covers that are size 2.2 will fit this cockpit.

- EMS

2NDS . The Necky Manitou kayak is ideal for day touring, with outstanding stability and control, and bow and stern dry hatches for storing your gear. Retractable skeg and extended keel for smooth tracking Active Comfort System seat Comfort Fit thigh braces Bow and stern dry hatches for storing gear Bow and stern deck rigging Toggle haul handles for portaging Center drink holder Length: 14’4” Width: 24” Height: 13” Cockpit: 35-1_2x16-1_2” Weight: 49 lb. Material: Recycled composite 2NDS . USA. Boats are cosmetic 2NDS and may come with minor blemishes, not unlike those that will be incurred on the first outing. To ensure your satisfaction, please remove all packaging material immediately upon arrival, and inspect for damage prior to signing acceptance form from carrier. Note any damage on carrier’s document, and contact Sierra Trading Post with any problems. Delivery Charge: $125. Must ship via truck within the continental U.S. only. Cannot be applied to special shipping offers. Visit our Kayaking Gear Guide

- Sierra Trading Post

Refined for touring with an increased length, the Necky Manitou 14™ kayak with skeg offers generous stability and comfort, surpassing the expectations of touring enthusiasts. Tough and affordable Polylite™ linear polyethylene hull provides long-lasting wear and resists UV degradation; molded-in graphics won't peel or fade. Sharp entry lines and extended keel enhance tracking and glide. Wave-piercing, high-volume bow negotiates chop and rough water with ease. Hard-chine hull lends superb primary and secondary stability; it's great for entry-level and intermediate paddlers alike. Generously-sized cockpit allows easy entry and exit; adjustable foot pedals accommodate nearly any paddler. New for 2010, the Active Comfort System (ACS) seat offers a convenient and intuitive adjustment system. Orange pull straps provide 4 separate adjustments: backrest tilt, backrest height, lumbar support and thigh support. Lateral stabilizers lock the seat into the boat to maximize responsiveness; finger channels on the seating surface enhance airflow and drainage. ACS seat base uses a tri-laminate construction that's similar to a running shoe, providing support where you need it and softness where you want it. Retractable skeg enhances tracking and helps prevent weathercocking in strong winds. Large bow and stern hatches with neoprene seals and hardshell covers provides space for your day-tripping gear; stern bulkhead helps keep gear dry. Bow and stern deck rigging securely stow excess gear, recessed deck fittings provide increased durability. Reflective perimeter lines enhance visibility, and recess in stern deck makes it easier to do a paddle float self rescue. Toggle handles ease transport to the water.