NEMO Nocturne 15

Side sleepers, rejoice! Nemo’s Spoon Shape sleeping bags mimic your body’s curves for greater comfort and warmth on the trail. The spoon-shaped Nocturne 15 is wider at the shoulders, tapered at the hips, and wider again at the knees for greater movement and flexing in any position all night.

Filled with 700 power down, the Nocturne 15 (-9°C) weighs 2 lb 11 oz (1.2 kg). If things get wet, DownTek nanotechnology will help keep you warm.

Insotect Flow vertical baffles and gates keep down insulation from migrating and help prevent cold spots, though you can redistribute down up and down if you like. Underneath there’s 10 percent less fill.

The Nocturne 15 sleeping bag features a fully insulated Blanket Fold to hold in warmth, pillow pocket, zippered pocket for your watch, 15D nylon ripstop shell fabric with DWR, 30D nylon mini ripstop lining, and waterproof/breathable footbox.

Temp Rating 15°F / -9°C
Fill 700 fill power down with DownTek nanotechnology
Minimum Weight 2 lb 11 oz / 1.2 kg
Packed Size 14.5 x 9 in / 37 x 23 cm

Finally a sleeping bag that I don't feel restricted…

Price Paid: $299 on sale

Summary

Finally a sleeping bag that I don't feel restricted in. The unique shape provides room to move and stretch while keeping the weight down and staying warm.

Pros

• Space to move around
  • Blanket fold to snuggle with
  • Comfort rating seems accurate
  • DownTek treated down
  • Only 2 lbs 11 oz
  • Pillow sleeve
  • Included storage sack

Cons

• Must use care with zipper, tendency to snag
  • Included stuff sack too large, not waterproof

I have used this sleeping bag for almost a year. I am 5'8" and purchased the "men's" version of the bag because the "women's" version felt too short. Temperatures ranging from 20's to upper 70's F during the night. Varying humidity including rainy, snowy, and very dry weather. Over this time I have not had any issue with wear or cold spots.

I use the provided storage sack when not in use. The included stuff sack did not compress the bag small enough and was not waterproof so I substituted a Sea to Summit waterproof compression sack when backpacking. The bag quickly regains its loft when unpacked.

The unique shape of the bag is ideal for me as a restless side sleeper. I have enjoyed the ability to move around easily without feeling restricted like a traditional mummy bag. The added blanket flap is nice to snuggle with and it is easily folded back if it is warm. The feel of the blanket flap and interior fabric of the bag is soft to the touch.

The pillow sleeve allows you to tuck in clothes to form a pillow and they stay put. There is a small pocket near the top of the bag but it is so well hidden I couldn't find it at night so I don't use it. The two way zipper allows for unzipping the bottom so a foot can be stuck out.

The foot of the bag has a breathable waterproof covering which I did not test. I also did not test the how waterproof the down treatment was. In normal use using the customary precautions to keep a bag dry I experienced no issues with dampness with the bag.

At temperatures down to the mid 20's I was comfortable sleeping in a light wool shirt and shorts. For lower temps I would probably need to use wool baselayer pants to achieve the same comfort level. On warm summer nights I open the bag up and use it like a quilt otherwise it is too hot. I think the 3-season rating is appropriate for the bag.

The bag is well constructed and has held up well during use this year. The only negative with the bag itself is the tendency for the zipper to snag when unzipping. It catches the inside fabric of the sleeping bag relatively easily if you unzip quickly. The fabric has not shown any damage from the few times it snagged, but appears somewhat fragile. I am careful now to run my finger ahead of the zipper to keep the material out of the way.

The bag has exceeded my expectations. I had anticipated cold spots due to the shape but I have not had that experience. I greatly appreciate the non-claustrophobic feel of the bag. The weight of the bag and compress-ability are added benefits.

Though the bag is not for everyone, I would highly recommend it to those that find a mummy bag too confining and it is exemplary for active side sleepers.