NEMO TUO Standard

Weight 2 lb 4 oz
Thickness 1.6 in / 4 cm

I put much more emphasis on sleeping comfort when…

Price Paid: On loan from NEMO

I put much more emphasis on sleeping comfort when I’m in the outdoors these days. Partly, that’s because most of my trips are considerably longer. As well, I think I’m a bit wiser. Or maybe it’s just that my back is a bit older.

When I first began backpacking, inflatable air mattresses were the norm. They were cold, slippery, and prone to puncture. Closed cell foam was next in the kit, but though it insulated well, it was bulky. On my climbing adventures, sitting on a one foot square piece of Ensolite on a tiny ledge was never comfortable.

The revolution came with the combination of the two methods, a sleeping pad that incorporated air, as well as closed cell foam.

On a fall trip into British Columbia's Bowron Lakes Canoe Circuit, I had the pleasure to test NEMO Equipment's sleeping pad system. Fall trips in the north have welcome advantages. The bugs are gone, and the crowds have dispersed. Fall colors, especially in areas with lots of deciduous trees, are vibrant. However, the days are short, leaving long nights to ponder the meaning of life.

My paddling friend Neil and I were canoeing the well known circuit as the temperature began dropping into the low teens at night. I was not concerned that the pad that NEMO had loaned me would be serviceable. At 1 1/2 inches thick, I knew it had to be at least as comfortable as my Therm-a-rest of the same thickness.

The difference with NEMO’s new Tuo sleeping pad, is that it incorporates two separate air chambers. The first inflates the pad just like a regular inflatable sleeping pad. But here’s where they’ve added an additional element. There is a second chamber that can be inflated to your individual comfort level. So while you can inflate the base layer firm for protection from rocks and roots, you can inflate the second layer, to your, well, as Lindsay Wagner might say, your “sleep number”.

On a pad so thin, you might think that such a system would not make much difference. However, I found that it gave some of the more comfortable sleeps I’ve had in the bush, not withstanding the cold temperatures.

A further advantage of the system, is the redundancy of the two chambers. With decades of experience in the outdoors, several times I’ve awoken in the middle of the night to find myself with a deflated sleeping pad, courtesy of a stick, rock, or wear. The Tuo’s dual chambers won’t eliminate that possibility entirely, but they will reduce the risk.

The standard size Tuo pad I tested compressed into bundle that is comparable to other pads of the same size and thickness.

As with the other product I tested on this trip, NEMO’s Morpho AR tent, I found the design and workmanship of the Tuo to be of high quality.

As an expedition canoeist, I often myself camping on cobbled beaches in Canada’s north.

NEMO makes a Tuo that is more than 2 inches thick. When weight (an extra 1 1/2 lbs.) is not an issue, this “Luxury” model may just find its way into my canoe pack for my next trip north. But for backpacking and skiing trips, the NEMO standard is luxury enough.

The Tuo series of inflatable backcountry accessories brings a new level of comfort to the sleeping pad. Literally. The Tuo sleeping pads have a thin film inside that divides the pad into two separate airtight levels, each with their own valve. Not only does this give you complete redundancy in the event of a puncture, it means you can inflate the base layer firm for protection from rocks and roots and keep the top layer partially inflated for maximum comfort. Includes a stuff sack and repair kit.

Visit NEMO's TUO Standard page.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Nemo Tuo Standard Sleeping Pad FEATURES of the Nemo Tuo Standard Sleeping Pad 75D polyester fabric is laminated with a high bond polymer film that keeps the fabric airtight and promotes high weld strength Easy inflate/deflate valves make setup a breeze Two independently inflated foam layers maximize comfort and add redundancy The top layer of foam is cross drilled to reduce weight and packed size Tuo pads pack small with the included compression strap and stuff sack SPECIFICATIONS of the Nemo Tuo Standard Sleeping Pad Minimum Weight: 2 lbs 4 oz / 1018 g Minimum Temperature Zone: -5deg to 5deg F / -20deg to -15deg C Width: 20in. / 51 cm Length: 72in. / 183 cm Thickness: 1.6in. / 4 cm Packed Size: 9.5 x 6 Diameter: 24 x 15 cm 75D Polyester OVERSIZE ITEM: We cannot ship this product by any expedited shipping method (3-Day, 2-Day or Next Day). Even if you pick that option, it will still go Ground Shipping. Sorry for being so mean. ALL CLIMBING SALES ARE FINAL. This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us. Nemo products cannot be shipped to Japan. Please don't hate us.

DOUBLE THE COMFORT Tuo(TM) series pads are the only pads on the market with two separate inflatable layers. Two layers means you get to adjust the pressure of the top layer for comfort, you have redundancy in the event of puncture, and you get extra warmth. All great qualities for expeditions, winter camping, and mountaineering. Tuo(TM)sleeping pads have a thin film inside that weighs almost nothing and divides the pad into two separate airtight layers, each with its own valve. The base layer can be inflated firm for protection from rocks and roots, and the top layer can be inflated however much feels comfortable. Having two layers provides redundancy in the event of a puncture. Two layers also reduces heat loss by blocking convection currents inside the pad. The unique features of the Tuo(TM) series pads make them perfectly suited for harsh environments. All Tuo(TM) models include a stuff sack, compression strap, and repair patches. Specifications Minimum Weight :2 lbs, 4 oz / 1018 Minimum Temp: Zone -5 to 5F / -20 to -15C Shape: Mummy Width: 20 in / 51 cm Length: 72 in / 183 cm Thickness: 1.6 in / 4 cm Insulation: Type Open Cell Foam Packed Size: N/A Fabric: 75D PU Polyester Color: Granite Grey

- Mountains Plus

Nemo's Tuo series of inflatable sleeping pads brings a new level of comfort to the backcountry. Literally. Nemo's Tuo sleeping pads have a thin film inside that weighs almost nothing and divides the pad into two separate airtight levels, each with its own valve. Not only does this give complete redundancy in the event of a puncture, but it also means the base layer can be inflated firm for protection from rocks and roots, and the top layer kept partially inflated for maximum comfort. Nemo's Tuo Cub is a 2/3 length model. All Tuo models include a stuff sack, compression strap, and repair patches.

- CampSaver.com

A unique design splits the interior of the Nemo Equipment Tuo Cub Sleeping into two separate air chambers that can be inflated individually to customize your cushioning. Your kids will find the Cub pad easier to carry and pack thanks to its smaller, lighter design. Because of this pad's smaller size, it's also ideal for ultralight backpackers or anyone who simply prefers the feel of a half-pad.

NEMO TUO Standard

The NEMO TUO Standard is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 8, 2014 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new self-inflating sleeping pad, check out the best reviewed current models.