Nite Ize Figure 9 Carabiner
Note Ize makes several versions of this device - this…
Ease of Setup: easy, just follow laser-etched instructions
Price Paid: $2/each
Note Ize makes several versions of this device - this review is for the "small" which appears to be stamped out of 1/8" aluminum sheet metal, then machined a bit more before being sanded and laser etched.
The small Figure 9 is a tremendously useful little addition to my backpack. I usually carry at least 2 with me, since they weigh less than 0.2 ounces each and have so many applications. The basic purpose of the Figure 9 is for use a line tightener on anything from tent guy lines and camp clothes lines to tarp tie downs and whatever else you might need to quickly cinch down around the house.
My favorite features of this ingenious device:
1) So many different ways to attach the Figure 9 to a rope...I played with them for hours coming up with different ways to deal with one or more loose rope ends.
2) Strong and super light weight! The smalls are actually tested for up to 50 lbs tension, but only weigh around 0.2 ounces each.
3) Instructions are laser etched into the part just in case you forget how to do a basic set up.
4) No more stuck knots, just wrap the loose end as shown and it holds without having to actually tie any knots.
5) The price doesn't break my wallet.
I recommend the Figure 9 to anyone who uses rope around the camp for tent or hammock guy lines, bear bag tie-ups, tarp cooking shelter lines, etc.