Nite Ize Figure 9 Tent Line Kit

Unreliable plastic guy line tighteners. The first…

Summary

Unreliable plastic guy line tighteners. The first one broke during the first night in calm winds. A second broke a few weeks later. I have not used the remaining six pack since.

Pros

• Nice way to tighten up lines
  • The reflective cordage seems durable

Cons

• Cheap plastic

On the first night of use, I pitched my hammock tarp to test the Nite Ize Figure 9 Tent Line Kit, as well as my new MSR Groundhog stakes. Temps held steady around 31°F. Calm winds (2-3mph). Light snow.

I woke up at 3am to find my feet soaking wet. Turns out one of the Figure 9 had snapped in half. The two halves were attached to the rope, but the tarp was lying across the ridgeline on my hammock. The footbox of my sleeping bag was completely covered in snow. I finished the night using a taut line hitch to secure the tarp.

On a second try a few weeks later another of these items broke.

So two tests. Two breaks.

I'm not sure if the subfreezing temps made the plastic to brittle. Or perhaps I got a bad/defective batch. I have since switched over to titanium line tighteners, which have held up in heavy winds, rains, and snow.

Bought this to replace the guy lines that came with…

Bought this to replace the guy lines that came with my tent.

Plus's

• same diameter as tent guy lines.
  • as light or maybe lighter than tent guy lines
  • more grip in the tents' adjustable slides that the tents' original guy lines.
  • reflective
  • green color disappears in the day time, be careful not to trip but nicer than day glow while in the wilderness camping.
  • get four figure 9's with the kit
  • strong for its size

Cons',

• a little difficult adjusting when used as the tent guy lines as the reflective is little knobs in the line.  But it is manageable and more easily adjusted after the first attempt.

Yes I do recommend, I would buy again from REI.