Nite Ize MoonLit LED Micro Lantern

Weight .65 oz / 19 g
Battery run time 60 hours
Dimensions 1.6 x 2.3 x 1 in / 40 x 58 x 24 mm

With very little modification, this has become my…

Summary

With very little modification, this has become my "go to" light source.

Pros

• Small
  • Bright enough

Cons

• Without modifications, glows back in your face

Over the years I've found that I'm needing less and less light when in camp. I don't backpack in the dark, so a bright light isn't needed...just something to allow me to find things in my tent on moonless nights or to get me far enough away from camp in the middle of the night when nature calls.

I've gone from carrying a 5-D cell Maglite and 2-D cell cheapo backup flashlights when I was a kid, to smaller flashlights, to fewer flashlights, to a Solitaire Maglite and a lantern light lid for my 1 liter Nalgene bottle and now to this little beauty.

This little "lantern" is surprisingly bright! Lights up a good 10' around me when wearing it on the zipper of my sweater and allows me to read comfortably on those beautiful pitch black nights. In all honesty, it's too bright to look at directly. At just over half an ounce, it's made my "must carry" list and has actually allowed me to cut out over 8oz of other gear (Nalgene bottle with lantern light lid and Solitaire Maglite) since I rarely even use a light at all anyway. Impressive and versatile little light.

The only issue with it is that it's fairly bright from behind as well as in front.  I've overcome that by thinning a little black ShoeGoo and applying it inside the rear cover to stop the bleed through of light. Easily fixed and well worth the effort.

The batteries are easily changed simply by pulling the clear silicone cover off and sliding the batteries out. And the 2032 batteries are relatively cheap.

Around camp, it supplies more than enough light on moonless nights to see where I'm going and find whatever I drop and If I leave it hanging from the loop in my tent, the tent lights up enough to see from quite a distance.

Very handy to be able to clip it onto a shirt or jacket zipper, the band on my hat, or even the belt loop on my shorts or pants and adjust the angle at which it shines so I can walk around without anything in my hands, and best yet, I can walk up to someone in the dark and carry on a conversation without blinding them with one of those cursed headlamps I HATE SO MUCH!!! NO ONE NEEDS THAT MUCH LIGHT!!!

I've found this little lamp is saving me money as well as I've supplied friends with them...friends who used to use headlamps...headlamps that I've snatched and crushed when they've blinded me with them. So the money I used to spend replacing people's headlamps has now been spent on a few of these little lanterns that those friends know to carry instead of headlamps. That's a win for everyone, right?

Cort

I hang these on the ridgeline of my hammock, these are perfect little lights!

Thanks for the review. I've had one stormy night when I had to pack up and move to higher ground. Would this be enough light for that kind of situation?

kitcarson61

Hey Cort, I fully agree. The ability to rotate the light toward the ground or anywhere else you want it is huge.

kitcarson61

Goose, I'd say that, for me at least, this light is enough to move camp in the middle of the night...especially if you already know where you're going. It's surprising how much light it actually puts out and if you don't have someone else in your party ruining your night vision with a"Q-Beam" (exaggerating for effect), you should be fine with one of these per person. AND the batteries are small and light (and easily lost in your pack if you're not careful) and inexpensive to replace.

DonP

Like Cort, I have one of these for the ridgeline of my hammock. It works great for that, especially in those hammocks that have a weather cover like my Clark NX250. With the cover in place this light is super bright and really lights up the space. What I love the most about this light is that it has that mini-carabiner allowing you to clip it ot just about anything. And yes Goose, you can use this for packing up at night. It should provide plenty of light for that.

Thanks for the review, Kit. It's always good to hear about inexpensive items that perform well.

I use this on the trail when the weather makes it…

Price Paid: $10.99 each

I use this on the trail when the weather makes it dim. I also hang in at least two corners of my tent. Useful for the needs at night when you don't want a full light that may wake your campmates. Because I use a in tent tinkle jar, this is a must for proper lighting for the necessary!!

Also can be useful in very dark areas at night to guide where perimeter, tarp, and tent lines are. I even use these great little lights for night walks and hikes.

Welcome to Trailspace, Helen. Thanks for posting.

Welcome to Trailspace, Helen.