Oboz Sawtooth Low

Great lightweight trail shoes for day or overnight…

Summary

Great lightweight trail shoes for day or overnight trips.

Pros

• Nice look
  • Good price

Cons

• Difficult to break in
  • Poor fit

I was excited about this shoe. For one, it is made in the USA and wanted to encourage a USA-based company.

Two, I really liked the way it looked. I have always used stiff backpacking boots for day or mutli-day trips but was ready to convert to using lighter shoes for my backpacking trips. I thought this would do it.

However, I gave it many trials and I kept getting blisters after blisters, and so I finally gave up trying to break the shoes. My arch also started hurting so I got worried about getting permanent arch inflammation. I returned them even though I had great hopes.

Overall, I think it is designed for warmer weather. It has a great grip, especially for rock scrambling which is what I tend to do a lot of. I think it fits true to size, but once again, since I never was able to break through, perhaps I didn't have the right fit for me foot size.

Bill Palmer

I had the same experience when I purchased them in 2013. No blister but lost there shape

Used them for hiking in very rough hot terrain of…

Source: Purchased on line after reviewing

Summary

Used them for hiking in very rough hot terrain of North West Australia. Initially great, but once they got wet they seemed to shrink to where I could not wear them.

Pros

• Initial great fit
  • Good traction

Cons

• Shrunk in either the heat or after getting wet

Purchased on line after a review of the boots. I used them in the northwest of Australia where the ground gets very hot—65 degrees Celsius. Mainly used hiking on large loose boulders as well as grassed surfaces when paragliding. Great traction!

Were not waterproof at all, but gave very good ventilation and kept my feet cool which suited my environment.

Fitted initially well, looked good and did up well. After 7 months they started to shrink noticeably and were very uncomfortable. Initially very pleased, but did not last. Still look reasonably good but did not live up to expectations

Rock solid gripping sole. Just feel the give in a…

Summary

Rock solid gripping sole. Just feel the give in a Merrell sole compared to these and you will never go back. They offer the quick drying Oboz Sawtooth Low and the BDry version with more waterproofing. I opted for the former and am truly a happy hiker.

Pros

• Solid tread with great grip
  • Stable platform for backpacking
  • Quick drying when wet

Cons

• Shoelaces tend to come untied easily.

These shoes are an excellent backpacking or trail shoe. They are tremendously supportive from the tank tread like sole up. As an ultralight backpacker I can appreciate a shoe which dries quick. I figured when I got wet my shoes needed to dry quick when the rain stopped. With the BDry version of this shoe you tend to be a bit warmer in the shoe and dryer. However, when you get wet it takes longer to dry them out.

As far as sizing them with thicker socks I would recommend going a size or at least a half larger. I typically wear a 10 and a half. I bumped it to 11.5 and the fit and have wore great for the past few months. Compared to the softer soled Merrell hiking shoes I previously wore, through which you could feel every twig and pebble, these shoes are incredibly comfortable for long distances.

Give them a try. I know I will be buying another pair.

Good shoe. Could of been better. Had them for about…

Price Paid: ???

Summary

Good shoe. Could of been better.

Pros

• Looks
  • Soles/grip
  • Breathable
  • Rigid

Cons

• Fit
  • Break-in time

Had them for about a year. I wanted a shoe that would take place of my heavy boots. Unfortunately, these were not it.

I have a narrow, low volume foot with moderate arch. At first these seemed slimmer than Merrell and Krebs, but after an overnight hike, I noticed a good amount of slipping. Also take forever to break in.

Although they are comfortable and supportive, they are not "The One".