OluKai Hokua Sandals offer excellent comfort, water…

OluKai Hokua Sandals offer excellent comfort, water resistance, traction, and are great for Plantar Fasciitis! I use these day-to-day as well as for camp shoes. I recommend these especially for those suffering from Plantar.

• Excellent arch support
  • Soft material combined with arch is great for Plantar
  • Excellent traction for a sandal
  • Footbed material does not absorb water or odor
  • Easy to clean

• Some delamination between layers
  • Not suitable for rainy conditions

In my experience, flops have never been associated with comfort, traction, or stability. I've always assumed that's the trade-off for the convenience of open-toed easy-on/off footwear. OluKai has completely changed my expectations! The OluKai Hokua are, by far, the most comfortable flip-flop style sandal I've ever owned.

The footbed is made from two different materials laminated together.  The outer sole is made from a sturdy rubber compound giving the sandal excellent rigidity without sacrificing desired traction characteristics of softer materials. The rubber out-sole enhances this by adding a molded traction pattern sufficient for mist surfaces and conditions I’ve encountered.

Having said that, I have not worn these in mud or in temperatures below 40 degrees. Rubber typically hardens in colder temperatures so the traction capabilities may change considerably in colder temperatures.

There is a slight cupped shape to the heel giving the sandal better stability than typical flip-flops. I wouldn't put these in the same category of my Vibram hiking shoes, but they are far better than any flop I've owned previously.

The inner sole is made from a soft compressible yet non-porous material providing excellent shock absorption not typically found in this style of footwear. I previously owned a pair of Teva sandals that used porous footbed material. These would squish as I walked if they got wet. Consequently, they also absorbed significant amount of odor from perspiration. That was a real deal breaker for me. Thankfully, the OluKai do not suffer from this shortcoming.

After three months of near continuous use, I have never had any issues with chaffing or blistering. No break-in period required. The only problem I’ve had is some minor delamination between layers on the left flip-flop.  Rather puzzling considering my right one is constantly under heavy deformation from using the gas pedal while driving. I have an automatic so my left foot doesn't do much. I think they may need to review their laminating process with the manufacturer. There's definitely an issue here. I'll be making use of that 1-year warranty very soon. This is the reason for 4 stars instead of 5.

I purchased these after a recommendation for relief from Plantar Fasciitis. I tried different shoes and inserts including those sold by my podiatrist without success. I was getting desperate. Combined with stretching exercises, the arch support and soft compressive footbed material of the OluKai have provided almost miraculous relief from a condition that had been consistently worsening over time.

They weigh nearly a pound per pair but I still carry them in my pack even on the longest trips. They provide that much relief at the end of the day!!

Welcome to Trailspace, Ernest. Thanks for sharing such a helpful review of your sandals.

By the way, do you have any pictures of your sandals you could share in your review?

Ernest Correale

I didn't see a way to add images. I see one on the page now, did you find one?

Hi Ernest. You can add images (and videos) into the body of a review by going in to edit it. Then click the photo icon (looks like a little tree) and either upload a picture to your Trailspace account or link to an existing one you own elsewhere. I hope that helps.