Open Country Aluminum Covered Kettle - 2 Quart

Open Country 2 quart aluminum pot. I bought this pot…

Summary

Open Country 2 quart aluminum pot.

Pros

• Light
  • Great size
  • Well made
  • Inexpensive

Cons

• It is not made from some super material

I bought this pot a few years ago and it quickly became one of my favorite pots. It is a simple aluminum pot with a good lid. It has an efficient, relatively wide shape so it captures heat well. The shape also makes it good for packing other items inside.

There is no nonstick coating to be damaged. It is very reasonably priced at about $15. It isn’t much heavier than titanium. The aluminum conducts heat well. The 2 quarts is a good capacity, although more than some may need. I measured the capacity and found that 2 quarts didn’t quite fit in. What more can you say?

I found that a plastic top from a can of powdered ice tea mix fits it perfectly, for when I want a more watertight lid than the metal lid.  (For rehydrating food, storing leftovers, transporting liquids, etc.).

With the aluminum lid and obligatory Nalgene bottle for comparison:

Open-country-pot.jpg

With the aluminum lid and my special plastic lid:

open-country-2q.jpg

In use:

Kovea-spider-in-use.jpg

Thanks for the review and pics, DrPhun. Out of curiosity, what do you typically cook with your pot, or do you mostly use it to boil water?

DrPhun

Anything. it is a little big for just water, unless you need a lot of water. I made rhubarb dumplings on it one time, on a coleman stove.

Rhubarb dumplings sound great!