Optimus Kettle

EUR 21,95

I've found this to be the only pot I need when "hot…

Price Paid: ?

Summary

I've found this to be the only pot I need when "hot camping" on backpack trips.

Pros

• Wide base
  • Packs small
  • Good volume

Cons

• Handle sometimes gets hot

For comparison purposes, I'm a lightweight (under 20lb pack w/food for 3 days and fishing gear - FSO weight under 25lb) and will often "cold camp", taking no stove or foods that need cooking (unless I'm fishing, too). I've been helping people find the joys of the wilderness since I was in Scouts 40+years ago and have led beginners and beginner groups on successful backpacking trips in the Sierra Nevada for years.

In the past 5+ years I've switched to this kettle exclusively as a part of my attempt at lightweight backpacking.  I used to use a 1L titanium or anodized aluminum pot, but switched to this kettle as water comes to a boil faster in it. The wider base keeps the flame and heat from my alcohol stove UNDER the pot longer, therefore helping to bring the water to boil faster and saving on fuel. This holds true when using isobutane stoves as well.

Holds enough water to rehydrate a 2-person dehydrated meal with a little left over. My 22-year-old son, a couple of his friends and both of my long-time (30+ years) backpacking buddies have all switched to this kettle from whatever they carried before. Large enough inside to hold my alcohol stove, lighter and fuel for 3 days.

The only reason it's not getting 5 stars is because the handle seems to wait until I'm not looking to fall over sideways and, when it does, it gets HOT and requires the use of something as a hotpad to pick it up to pour.

For solo or UL two-person backpacking, it's all you need if you're only boiling water. If you're planning on cooking in your pot, you want something else.

Thanks for the helpful kettle review, kitcarson61. Got any pictures of yours you'd be willing to share in your review?

kitcarson61

Sorry, but no pictures of it in use. Call me crazy, but I don't often take pictures of water boiling. :)

Howard Hayden

Excellent review; thank you for years of service to kids in Scouting. I have caused the sale of many of the .5 liter, 'cute' tea kettles over many years. For one or two people, boil up what you need. I do have your 1 liter kettle, too, but it takes more room in a backpack and was not available for most of my lifetime. The new kettle, yours, works fine; your assessment on handles tipping and heating is correct. On the .5 liter size, flames sometimes curl around and damage the rubberized coating on the handle. You can replace the covering with surgical tubing, found abundantly in fishing shops and used for holding pencil-lead sinkers for bait fishing.

Howard Hayden

These Optimus 1 liter kettles are sold at REI, too. I saw them there last week. Normal retail prices prevail, as usual.

FromSagetoSnow

+1 for using kettles. I was skeptical and now its all I use when I care about weight, which is always.

Doug Stanton

Can a standard fuel canister it in this? Having trouble finding the dimensions anywhere.

kitcarson61

Not in mine. I have the .7 liter kettle and the standard, small, 3.8oz fuel canister is just a bit too tall to allow the lid to fit back on the kettle. I would imagine that a fuel cannister would probably fit in the For what it's worth, I've gone ahead and stowed a fuel cannister in the kettle and just left the lid loose in the little net sack the kettle came in, but I almost always use my alcohol stove when backpacking and it fits inside the kettle along with a lighter, a 4"x4" piece of non-asbestos gasket material (used under the stove in colder weather) and 6oz of fuel in 2 small bottles.

kitcarson61

I would imagine that the small (3.8ox) fuel cannister would fit inside the Primus LiTech .9liter or GSI's .95liter kettles, though

Perfect for my alcohol stove. I have been experimenting…

Summary

Perfect for my alcohol stove.

Pros

• Handle on top where you wouldn't burn yourself
  • Ideal for solo hike
  • Light weight

Cons

• Not as lightweight as a titanium pot of equal size

I have been experimenting with different alcohol stoves and couldn't seem to get my boil times under 8 minutes using the Snow Peak titanium 700ml pot. So when a friend suggested a larger diameter pot may be the trick I started shopping.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a kettle (meaning large bottom) made out of titanium. So the next best was hard aluminum and I found this Optimus kettle. I have now put it through some testing and the results are great. I now have two cups of water to a boil in a little over 4 minutes with my cobalt stove.

Thanks, Optimus.

Michael J OBrien

I've had the same pot for 35 years. It works great, it is light, and really does capture overheat. Only difference is mine has a rod wire handle with no protection for your hands.