User Review: Bahco Laplander Folding Saw
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $27.95
A great, lightweight handsaw to toss in your pack. It works well at cutting wood for a fire as well as clearing smaller sized blowdown from across trails.
- Agressive peg toothed blade
- Comfortable handle
- Limited to smaller sized timber
- Powder coating on blade wears over time
This saw has some terrific features that make it great for backpacking:
- It is lightweight at 6.4 ounces.
- The saw is a peg toothed design at 7 teeth per inch (TPI) which works well on seasoned or dry timber.
- It also cuts in both push and pull directions, reducing fatigue.
- The blade is powder coated to reduce friction.
- The blade locks in place with a simple push button release.
- The handle is made of Santoprene which grips well in wet and dry conditions.
- It folds down to 9 inches, that easily stows in pack side pocket.
- Overall length is 16 inches with a blade length of 7.5 inches.
I have found the saw extremely useful. I often use it on the trail to clear smaller blowdown or branches from larger logs to make them easier to cross. It also does a great job at shortening gathered wood for a fire at night. It will cut through pieces of timber 3 to 4 inches in diameter in under a minute.
The product does have limitations though:
- The saw blade is only 7.5 inches in length which reduces the size of logs you can cut with it. Not usually a problem but, I had to find something negative ;)
- The powder coating on the blade designed to reduce friction does wear off over use. I usually spray a Teflon based lubricant on the blade to keep it "slippery" when I get home from a trip.
Overall, this is a well made tool and is handy to have out in the woods.
Where to Buy
The Bahco Laplander Folding Saw is not available from the stores we monitor.
You may be able to find it new or used at one of these sites:
Retailers: Do you sell this product? List your site here.