MPowerd Luci

Weight 4.5 oz

This small, inflatable, solar powered light is fairly…

Summary

This small, inflatable, solar powered light is fairly quick to charge and provides hours of light for your campsite or tent. While deflated, it can be strapped to your backpack or placed on top of your gear in a canoe in order to charge up during the day. It is also inexpensive and would be a great addition to an emergency kit.

Pros

• Compact
  • Inexpensive
  • Quick to charge
  • Waterproof
  • Has high, low, and flashing options

Cons

• Plastic hanging strap feels flimsy

When fully charged and on the high setting we were able to light up an area with an almost 10 foot radius. The first time we used it, we were camping in a field with no trees to hang it from but we were able to hang it from one of our hiking poles which helped a lot in our cooking process.

The light cannot be focused since the LEDs reflect off of a mirrored surface in order to create a wide area of light. Because it is solar powered, there are no batteries necessary.During the day just place it in the sun for a few hours in order to charge it. At night, simply blow it up and turn it on.

We have kept it on for about 4 hours and it didn't seem to dim, but have never used it long enough for it to go out completely. It can also charge if not in full sun on a cloudy day.

It has straps on both ends to hang it from a branch or pole or it can be placed on a table. On our first use, we used the plastic strap to clip it to the back of a backpack facing the sun in order to charge it. At one point we bushwhacked through some tall grass and I guess it got pulled off the pack.

We noticed it was missing when we emerged but luckily someone else in our group picked it up when they saw it on the ground. The plastic strap does not seem strong enough to hold it in place and it would be better used with a carabiner or some string.

We have used it in rainy weather and that did not seem to affect it at all since it is waterproof. I have not yet had the opportunity to use it in very cold weather, but would not foresee that making a difference.

The light has a high beam, low beam and flashing mode which would be good for emergencies. Other than the strap, the plastic on the main light seems extremely strong and tear resistant. Inflating it is easy, and only takes a few breaths. To deflate, you need to squeeze the mouthpiece in order to open the valve to let the air out.

Overall, this light is extremely impressive and is great for hikers, canoeists, campers, or even in an emergency kit for natural disasters.

Nice review, Megan. Did you see Lah's review on a similar item? I wonder how they compare. http://www.trailspace.com/gear/luminaid/lantern/#review32397

B. Frost

I almost bought one. I seen an add in Big5 & had to go into the store to see for myself. it was just toooo small but good to carry in a backpack not really for my style camping.

Lah

I know a number of people that have the Luci Light and use it for paddling at night. I'm glad I got to try out its main competitor, the LuminAid. All in all, they both seem like good products. I think I like the shape and chic look of the Luci light a little more but I would enjoy using either. We'll have to go on a hike together and compare...Big Cypress part 2?

1 month ago
MrsMustard

Sounds good to me!

1 month ago

Luci is an inflatable, solar-powered lantern that…

Summary

Luci is an inflatable, solar-powered lantern that can provide 6-12 hours of light. It weighs only 4.5 oz and collapses down to less than an inch. It can be hung from a tiny branch or the ceiling of a tent.

Pros

• Bright light for an area or tent
  • No batteries
  • Waterproof
  • Inexpensive

Cons

• Doesn't provide directional light, like a flashlight
  • Low setting could be lower

Luci is a lightweight, inflatable lantern from MPowerd. When inflated, it is a 4" tall cylinder, 5" in diameter. Nine LEDs shine from one end and reflect off of reflective surfaces inside both ends of the cylinder.  Clear sides allow the bright light to fill the space.

A full charge takes 8 hours, but it can hang from your pack while you hike and you will not notice it is there. When the sun goes down, you will have 6-12 hours of light that can hang from the smallest branch, that loop at the top of your tent or sit on a rock next to you.

Two brightness levels and a flashing mode allow you to choose your light level or get attention.  Its 80 lumens can light a tent or a 15 sq ft area.  It is not a good replacement for a flashlight as focused light is not its intended purpose.

It is simple to use. One button controls the light modes.  Blow up the lantern as you would a pool toy. All electronic parts are sealed in one end of the cylinder.  The body of the lantern is made from clear PVC film.  Thin handles on both ends allow the light to be hung either-side-up.

I have used my Luci for several months on several different Boy Scout camping trips. It has held up and shows no sign of wear.  Some rechargeable things experience reduced battery life as they are used.  It has been charged and discharged many times and there is no change in now long it lasts.  It only cost $14.95 when I bought it.  It isn't fragile, but if it were ever damaged, I would definitely buy another one.

More information is available on their website, just Google mpowerd luci.

luci.jpg

MPowerd Luci

The MPowerd Luci is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new light, check out the best reviewed current models.