Q&A

Have a question about folding? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

The 2017 Oru Kayak Bay ST is light, extremely portable,…

Price Paid: $1,360

Summary

The 2017 Oru Kayak Bay ST is light, extremely portable, easy to assemble, and strong. It is pricy, but that’s the tradeoff for its weight and portability.

Pros

• Portability
  • Weight
  • Ease of assembly

Cons

• Price
  • Cockpit latches can break

i purchased the Bay ST and the Beach LT from REI online for my wife and me after we inspected and sat in them at the 2017 REI Labor Day sale. I had them shipped to my local REI for pickup. Both fit inside my Toyota Prius.

When I got them home, I assembled each in my backyard. The folds were pretty stiff during the first few times I assembled and disassembled them. I went from about 1 hour to assemble the Bay ST (I’m 68) to about 13 minutes after the third or fourth assembly. CRITICAL POINT—Oru Kayak provides a lubricant for the tracks of the zipper channels, with instructions on how to lubricate them. It greatly eases assembly. Packing up went from about 30 minutes to 10 minutes.

I drove with the Bay ST to a local river, carried it down the bank, assembled it, and was on the water in 15 minutes. The Bay was amazingly fast, responsive, and quiet. After about an hour of paddling on the river, and sneaking up on wildlife, I packed up and headed home. I took a number of photos, but don’t know how to attach them with my iPhone.

This is was only my second time in a kayak. The first time was in a rotomolded kayak during an afternoon guided tour with my family. What a difference! The Oru felt so much more responsive.

G00SE

Thanks for the review, OTB. Sounds like a great item.

Thanks for the review, Old-time Backpacker! I'm glad to hear these kayaks are working out for you and your wife.

To add photos to your review (full/non-mobile version of the site):

1. Click the yellow “Edit this review" button at the top or bottom of your review (you can do this to update your review, add new info, pics, etc).

2. Click in the Detailed Review section of your review where you’d like to place an image.

3. Click the Insert/Edit Image icon (third from the right, looks like a tree) at the top of the Detailed Review section.

4. Select and Insert a photo you’ve already uploaded or upload a new one.

5. Once done with any edits, click the “Save Your Changes” button at the bottom of your review.

I hope that helps.