Outdoor Products Backpacker's Poncho

Dimensions 54 in x 94 in

The Outdoor Products Backpacker Poncho is a durable…

Summary

The Outdoor Products Backpacker Poncho is a durable lightweight poncho that fits nicely into a small pouch. I'd recommend this poncho to any outdoors-man (or woman) that needs a small and light means of keeping dry.

Pros

• Can be used as a tarp
  • Large coverage
  • Small
  • Neatly packable
  • Very comfortable

Cons

• Does not keep warm
  • Wind comes from underneath

download.jpg

This photo is not mine, it belongs to Outdoor Products

Outdoor Products Backpacker Poncho

Over the past three years that I’ve owned this backpacker poncho it has served me well from light rain to sudden downpours. It has never disappointed me even though I use it quite vigorously in my excursions.

Fit

The poncho is one size fits all. The only problem that I can imagine is that the hood might not fit all, but I think that it should fit almost all heads. The hood can also be closed or tightened using a drawstring.

Rain Stopping

The poncho is completely waterproof, the only issue is when there is a lot of rain and wind and the rain comes in from the side. It is also important to note that the poncho when worn over your rucksack will not only keep the rain off of you, but also your gear.

Warmth

It is vital to remember before buying this product to remember the difference between a jacket and a poncho, a jacket provides some insulation, a poncho just keeps you dry, you stay warmer if your dry but this poncho without a good jacket or sweatshirt underneath will not help you much with warmth. What I do when it’s cold and raining is, I wear a jacket, a sweatshirt and a hat under my poncho, this means my warm clothes stay dry and I stay warm.

Other uses

I've used my poncho for many uses besides wearing. For example in some of my other reviews I mentioned a camping trip in the Alps where I slept underneath this poncho by setting it up as a lean-to. Another example of a use is using it as a waterproof bag. Use a bit of twine to keep the hood tight and it works quite nicely.

One of my friends and I also found that the hood fits quite nicely over a camera that’s on a tripod. He and I were filming a review on a flint and steel fire starter when it started to rain, so I quickly put my poncho over his camera and we could even continue filming through the hood. If any of you speak German you can take a look at his YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMomo1501

image.jpg

This one does belong to me. This is me the day before I slept under the poncho. This is a good example of how to make a shelter out of this poncho or a tarp, some rocks and some twine.