Outdoor Products Trailhead Framepack 8.0

Found this backpack in red & black for just under…

Price Paid: $29.97 U.S.

Pros

• Great external pack for the money

Cons

• None far as I know.

Found this backpack in red & black for just under $30 at Sportsman Warehouse, the price was so low that I  had to confirm if the stickered price was the sales price and the salesperson said yes. The price was too good to pass up for a 3,750 cubic inches as looking to eventually upgrade and replace my 20+ y.o. Jansport Summit external pack with the alloy frame that had limited capacity.

The shoulder straps and hip belt are much more padded compared to my old pack. Have not used on an actual hike yet, but so far everything seems to fit well.  The 2 water bottle pockets that will hold a 1 liter bottle in each is a nice feature. Since it is a discontinued model, it might take some searching to find one anywhere, Good Luck.

We purchased this pack for our oldest son for Boy…

Summary

We purchased this pack for our oldest son for Boy Scouts. He loves it. It's big enough to hold all his gear plus (an additional bonus his sleeping bag). It was really reasonably priced compared to most of the others out there.

Pros

• It withstands outdoors and teenagers!!!! Excellent.

Cons

• When it's off balance on your back it's not easy to carry.

It does have a frame and when sized appropriately it fits our son perfectly. When it's all strapped correctly he has told us it fits great and he can hike forever with it.

The catch is to load it accordingly so it balances. When it's off balance he's found it's very uncomfortable. Even if you have it strapped down accordingly. It does adjust well to different loads as long as others don't attempt to rebalance it for you.

It's been holding up great in all aspects of weather...In fact he's used this backpack for 1 year now and was wanting to get his brother one for his birthday and we can't find them anywhere.

Well put together, but it's no Peak 1. Got this pack…

Price Paid: $40, yep $40

Summary

Well put together, but it's no Peak 1.

Pros

• Price
  • Very adjustable
  • Packbag is pretty durable
  • Lifetime waranty

Cons

• Frame is not made of strong enough plastic

Got this pack for my son. Cub Scout + hiking = external frame.

I liked the plastic frame because I had a Peak 1 many years ago and it was very adjustable and fairly light as well as bullet/bombproof.  A truck could run over the Peak 1 and it could keep going.

My son managed to break the frame in his first overnighter. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was using it as a ladder. Abuse = busted frame. But it does have a lifetime warranty so you should be pretty safe.

I would recommend this as a first pack or a scout pack. We took the one he broke back to the store and they replaced it no questions asked.

The Outdoor Products Trailhead Framepack 8.0 External Frame Pack is the ideal external frame pack for most camping excursions. Its storage capacity is perfect when packing for multiday mountain treks or for an all day hike. The pack is lightweight and durable offering support, comfort and load distribution. It's the ultimate entrylevel external frame pack.Enduroflex construction frame.Top loading main compartment.Two side pouches can fit 0.5 liter water bottles (not included).Large front and bottom pockets with access to main compartment.Top and middle compression straps.Bungee compression system on top flap.Mesh back panel adds comfortable support and ventilation to keep you cool.

- Campmor

Outdoor Products Trailhead Framepack 8.0

The Trailhead Framepack 8.0 has been discontinued.

The Outdoor Products Trailhead Framepack 8.0 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 25, 2013 at Campmor.

If you're looking for a new external frame backpack, check out the best reviewed current models.