Outdoor Research Crocodiles

Great 3-season water and debris protection. Extremely…

Summary

Great 3-season water and debris protection. Extremely strong and long lasting construction, fair priced, and considerably comfortable.

Pros

• Waterproof

Cons

• Warm
  • Only fits boots

So to start, I really dislike snow pants and rain pants. They are hard for me to regulate heat with and also I feel constricted when I wear them. I dislike more, soggy, wet, pant legs.

10.jpg
The Crocodiles from Outdoor Research are a great option if you are in the same predicament as me. I really like the fit. They fall just above my calf which keeps them from falling down and secures them in place pretty well. They are plenty comfortable, I don't actually notice they are there most of the time.

They have two adjustable points. First, the thick leather strap that goes under your boot is attached with a nice steel buckle.
IMG_20160330_104628526.jpg

The strap is very thick and after more than four years of heavy use in them I have seen only rust on the buckles but not even a single fray on the straps. The buckle is reinforced where it meets the gaiter. They use a BioThane Instep Strap as they call it which is abrasion resistant and not effected the slightest by water.

The second adjustable point is at the top around your calf. They have a nice buckle system allowing you to adjust the tightness and you can even do it on the fly in seconds.
IMG_20160330_104707221.jpg

These are made from several different combinations of fabric. The elongated bottom, which is designed to fit many of types of boots including, but not limited to, mountaineering boots. The inner leg and around the boot is made from a 1000d Cordura, which is a bit thicker and stronger than the rest of the gaiter. It's lined with pack cloth which is somewhat slippery. In which case I find this beneficial as I move around because the gaiters always fall back into place and don't get twisted on my legs.

The rest of the gaiter is made from Gore-Tex 3L. The front Velcro strap is tight and has never worn out. They hold every time and hold well. They have a little tab on the end near the toe to hook these to your laces, keeping them snug to your boot which I really like.
IMG_20160330_104642264_HDR.jpg

One thing about these gaiters is that I would not call them "breathable". As breathable as anything 100% waterproof will get, but I won't be setting out during the summer with these anytime soon. They are great 3-seasons gaiters, but in the hotter months I would seek out something a bit lighter and cooler.

They are designed for colder weather, and in the three seasons aside from summer, I have never had an issue with heat or sweat. It's only in the summer I notice this. In which case, it is intended for more of a colder weather setting and they are black, so no "fault" of the gaiter necessarily.

They fit over anything I'm willing to put under them, which is generally a base layer, mid layer, and hiking pant.

The only other thing I have found about these is not really the gaiters' fault. These are built to fit boots, not sneakers. Being the cut at the bottom is to fit many of kinds of boots, and these really are a colder weather gaiter, I don't think this is a problem necessarily it is just not what they were designed for. If you put them over a sneaker you will find some space between the shoe and the gaiter allowing debris and water to get up and in. With any kind of boot it fits very tight and this is not an issue.

At 10.2 ounces they are a bit heavy, but considering they are a part of my cold weather set up, I'm not AS concerned about weight. You don't feel them on your legs really, but if you are counting ounces, there are lighter versions that will suffice. Fortunately, even with the weight they pack down fairly small.
IMG_20160330_102429627_HDR-1-.jpg

Throwing them on is a breeze. Set your heel as close to the back as possible, the strap generally falls right into place, velcro, hook, tighten and you are done. It might take a minute a piece.

After using these in winter storms that dropped 3' of snow and rainstorms putting down several inches of water, I have found no fault in these gaiters. I have hiked in them over rock, roots, in the mud, in the sand, down the pavement even, and they have held up fantastic.

I highly suggest looking into these for your next set of gaiters. I use them constantly, even if it's around town so I can alleviate big boots or a full pant.
photo-1-17-1-.jpg

Phil Smith

I love mine, some of my snow/ski pants have built-in gaiters but I prefer wearing these. They're a lot more rugged than my snow/ski pants, but also a lot less expensive so sacrificing them won't hurt as much.

Uriah Hon

Thanks Phil! I find they fit great under a water proof pant as well just to keep things out of your shoes! A great attribute to staying dry!

Scott Pelletier

Thanks for the review. I have been looking into gaiters and your review really helped!

Great review, Uriah! The OR Crocs are a solid three-season gaiter.

Arnold

Nice review, Uriah, and I agree with your comments. I bought a pair 25 years ago and have used them only infrequently, but they are still in great condition. Well worth the money!

Uriah Hon

Thank you Arnold! I'm sure you will have them for many years more!

Uriah Hon

I recently received a new pair of XXL Crocodiles as…

I recently received a new pair of XXL Crocodiles as an OR warranty replacement. My last pair, which were a couple of years old, had seen a lot of use, and had some damage from my crampon points.  Nevertheless, I returned them for repair / replacement due to faulty stitching on the shin velcro, and

OR came through with a new pair with no hassle. This is why I will continue to buy OR gear — they stand behind their products, which is something you don't encounter with a lot of lesser known manufacturers.

As for the gaiters themselves, they perform as advertised. The new ones have stronger instep strap attachments, as well as a Velcro overlap tab at the bottom of the shin. This part of the gaiter sees some abuse if you routinely do boot-axe belays, and the additional securing tab should prevent the gaiter from opening or coming apart at the bottom as easily.

I take an XXL, and unfortunately OR doesn't make their more robust "Expedition Crocodiles" in the larger size, but the standard pair met all of my needs, and I presume are a bit lighter. They are Gore-Tex, and subsequently subject to the same limitations that any Gore-Tex has at extreme temperatures, but breathability has never been an issue — I use vapor barrier socks in the cold anyway, and you can always loosen the cuffs for greater air exchange.

Solid product. I don't leave home without them.

I probably wore these gaiters for over 900 hours.

Price Paid: $80 CDN

I probably wore these gaiters for over 900 hours. During that time, I beat the hell out of them, testing them in a wide variety of conditions in every season.

I first bought these gaiters to wear them while I worked in the bush. Let me tell you, their fit is increadible. I didn't realise how well their gaiters fit until I tried to replace them. I wore them with Sorel winter boots, steel toe work boots, but mostly with Gronell Elaho backpacking boots.

When worn with shorts, on a hot day, these gaiters provide enough protection to keep your lower legs looking pretty (no matter what you are trapsing through), while being light enough to minimise the amount your legs will sweat. Not too heavy, not too light. Almost everything about these gaitars is class A.

However, they don't get a five stars. These gaiter claim to be 'bomb-proof', yet they are laying in shreds in a dump somewhere. I was extremely hard on them (wore them for two seasons of tree planting, among other things). Here is the order of their destruction:

- The seams around the velcro on the front all broke. This was inevitable, but they could have lasted longer. I re-sewed them with fishing line (that broke too, eventually).

- The straps that go under the boot wore through and broke. If you're wearing these in any season other than winter, slide some climbing webbing over the straps.

- Sharp sticks tore through the top. The material was tough, but a little too light for what I was putting it through.

Eventually, both gaiters were in tatters. For normal use (ie. hiking, trekking, winter, etc) I think they would hold up.

I've had these for one winter season and the inside…

Summary

I've had these for one winter season and the inside strap anchor point stitching pulled apart on both gaiters. Besides the stitching, they performed good in stream crossings and cold winter.

Pros

• Easy to use

_DSC0001.jpg

_DSC0002.jpg

Installing is easy and stays secure. I have the Large gaiters and use them with La Sportiva Trango Prime size 10 1/2 and Koflach Arctis mountaineering boots size 11.

I wrote Outdoor Research and they sent me an e-mail with a return authorization code, the new ones were on the way before I could mail the old gaiters. I mailed the old gaiters for $3.

Outdoor Research changed the anchor point, top picture is the new version.

Looked like decent construction (but check out the…

Looked like decent construction (but check out the Expedition and HD versions too) and a good design, but these were too narrow to fit around my rather wide calves.

But if you have normal or skinny calves, these should offer a good close fit. [See my review of the Expedition variant for more info.]

I've had my O.R. Gaiters for 9 years now. This is…

I've had my O.R. Gaiters for 9 years now. This is my longest lasting piece of gear, aside from my day pack. I've been able to walk through a river, water midway up my shin, and remained bone dry. They've weathered around 25 hikes, 10 or so backpacking trips, and several snowshoeing trips.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Crocodiles versions

In addition to the 6 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Crocodiles. Read all reviews »