Weight 14 oz / 397 g
Width Medium
Toe Box Full
Arch / Instep Medium

Rugged lightweight shoe with gripping sole. Conditions:…

Price Paid: $65 on sale

Summary

Rugged lightweight shoe with gripping sole.

Pros

• Sole grips well
  • Rubber toe cover protects toes.
  • Breathable, dries quick
  • When water gets in, it drains right back out. No soggy sox.
  • Good support
  • Rugged and long lasting when used on rough trails

Cons

• Not waterproof

Conditions: I have had this shoe for the past three years. I have hiked some rugged and muddy/wet parts of the Long Trail with 25-30 lbs on my back. This shoe is light but gives good support and is very comfortable for those of us with wider feet and narrow heels. I put the copper colored Superfeet footbed in mine and that has worked very well.

Features: What I like most is that when I have inadvertently or unavoidably stepped in water or mud, the socks do get wet, but these shoes drain the water out immediately so I am not left with squishingly wet socks. The breathable mesh airs out the socks over the rest of the day. The shoes dry out quickly in camp.

Comfort: I bought a second pair because they are so comfortable to wear around town.

Construction and Durability: These shoes are well made, no problems. I have been pleased with these little shoes holding up on some very rugged trails.

Temp Control: With wool socks, these shoes are warm for cool spring, fall hiking. With a lighter sock, they are cool for summer hiking.

Support: I was wondering how it would be to go from an Asolo 535 ankle high boots  to these light shoes, but I found that my ankles strengthened and the Drifters have been fine. I have found that the Drifters offer adequate foot support when used with Superfeet insoles.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Drifter ACs! Thanks for the review (and welcome to Trailspace!)

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Drifter A/C versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 4 reviews for other versions of the Drifter A/C. Read all reviews »