Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody

Weight 14 oz / 397 g
Shell Fabric 1 oz 15-Denier 100% Recycled Polyester, Deluge® DWR Finish
Lining Fabric 1.4 oz 22-Denier 100% Recycled Polyester, Deluge® DWR Finish
Insulation 60 g PrimaLoft® One 100% Polyester

This piece is one of my favorites, and its versatility…

Summary

This piece is one of my favorites, and its versatility is impressive. Light enough to take with me everywhere.

Pros

• Warm
  • Light
  • Excellent layering option
  • Hood fits under helmet
  • Ample pockets

Cons

• Not windproof (but not claiming such either)

So this is a piece of gear that makes every trip, no matter what the itinerary. I've had mine for only about 2 years now, but it's seen everything, from Widespread Panic concerts (it's warm and extremely durable, and love that I can wash it easily, all of these things make it great for concerts) to winter fly fishing, from walking the dogs to the park down the street from our house in Texas to strolling through Central Park in the fall, from chilly nights on the coast to over 14,300 ft. In Colorado.

This thing fits very true to size, and I like that the hood fits snugly. As another reviewer mentioned, the hood definitely goes under a helmet with ease. The waist cinch is easy and effective even with gloves on. Arms are the perfect length, as is the waist.

It's not as athletically cut as some pieces (see my review for the TNF Thunder Micro), but not boxy either. The two hand warmer pockets are very handy, and the internal chest pocket/stuff sack is great to have as well. Keep a little biner clipped inside of this interior pocket and have found it clipped just about everywhere I can clip it at one point or another.

Water resistance has luckily not been truly tested, as I'm usually with a shell. We did get caught in a hailstorm while descending a 14'er once, and I stayed very warm and dry. Light rain is about the wettest this thing has seen, and it will resist some moisture.

Breathing and temp reg are mainly done manually through the full zip, but I don't mind that. It has been somewhat of a chameleon, keeping me just right in everything from 55 down to 30 degrees. It layers extremely well under shells and slides right in between anything under it and over it.

I have put this through the wringer, and it just keeps taking whatever I throw at it. Someday I'll have to replace it, no doubt, but I've already gotten my money's worth out of this guy. I'm a

I got my wife the plum-colored pullover. She loves it too.

A great non-down insulated piece that won't weigh…

Summary

A great non-down insulated piece that won't weigh you down. From backpacking in the Cascades to climbing in the Sierras my Nano Puff is always with me. It has all the features I need and none that I don't.

Pros

• Synthetic fill
  • Durable construction
  • Minimal features

Cons

• Not very wind resistant

Does the thought of geese being force-fed to fatten up their livers make you sad? But you still need a great insulated piece that is lightweight like down? AND you expect it to last a long time despite it being prone to abuse from the activities you need it for? Look no further.

The synthetic fill is super lightweight, insulates in a downpour and doesn't add any extra bulk. I like a snugger fit so I can layer this under a shell, thus I wear a size small on my 5'11"/165 lbs frame. There is the perfect amount of features with the two hand warmer and one napoleon pocket that doubles as a stuff pocket for the entire jacket, which has a bungie drawcord that cinches around the waist. The hood is more of an alpine style hood, so it runs very snug and high up on the face, which I happen to like because it fits great under a helmet and keeps my face warm.

I have used this as an outer piece in the warmer seasons and a layering piece when the temps drop. I've even slept in it as a sort of half sleeping bag while on longer trail runs. Surprising to me is its ability to go days on end draped over my non-bathed, sweaty body with out really stinking too bad, a major bonus if your looking for a little romance out on the trail.

All in all I love this piece and haven't found a situation that it doesn't seem to excel in. Oh, except for really cold wind. Cold wind will whip though the seams of this jacket and chill you to the bone if you let it. But you wont because you'll be smart and wear a base- and outer-layer in those conditions.

The last bit of praise I'll toss on the heap is for this jacket's durability. Many times I've scraped my body on branches or granite expecting a tear, rip or at least a thinned out sport of material, but have been amazed to find the jacket looking like it just popped out of the Chinese factory it was made in. I've had for a few seasons now it and it still looks brand spanking new.

P.S. Did I mention the cruelty-free aspect? Look up foie gras production and down fill if you want to know more about that, but be warned it can be pretty sad if you're an animal lover like me.

rated 5.00 of 5 stars All Nano Puff Hoody versions

In addition to the 2 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Nano Puff Hoody. Read all reviews »