Patagonia R1 Hoody

men's
Weight 11.5 oz / 326 g
Fabric 6.8-oz Polartec Power Dry 93% Polyester, 41% Recycled / 7% Spandex

Great looking and delivers the goods when active,…

Summary

Great looking and delivers the goods when active, but has limited applications.

Pros

• Non-restrictive
  • Looks good
  • Breathable

Cons

• Not particularly warm
  • Inferior in wind
  • Hard to put on/take off

Like most everyone here I try to do as much research as I can before spending a few bucks on a technical piece of gear. I did that with the Pat. R1 and kept reading about how it's a "favorite" and serves a lot of functions. Unfortunately, my experience has been different. It still comes along with me on most trips, but I think I could have spent my money better.

The R1 is very well made. The fit is right on the money (athletic but not binding) and it flat out looks good. I'm also a big fan of the thumbholes and the hood. Zipper works well too and its 3/4 length is awesome for dumping heat and ventilating. Wish more companies did this. The hem is also long so you don't have to worry about it creeping up and it's very comfortable under a hip belt. But while it performs decently in a variety of ways it doesn't really excel in any of them.

For me it's best use is as an outerlayer while hiking in mild conditions without much wind. The waffle design feels good against the skin but provides practically no wind protection and makes putting it on or taking it off a battle. The material tends to stick against whatever else you're wearing. Wear it over a baselayer and when you take it off the baselayer is coming with it. And when I put it on I sometimes have to struggle to get the sleeves in the right position on my arms. The thumbholes come in very handy there.

It performs well as a midlayer under a puffy or shell when moving but around camp the warmth it provides only goes so far. Granted, this isn't made for providing a lot of warmth and I know that marrying breathability with weather protection is tricky at best.

Based on the glowing reviews I read I expected the R1 to kill it in a few different areas. But other than performing rwhat else is out thereeally well when active in the right conditions, I think it's middle of the road when compared to...particularly at the price point.

I'm 6' 185 and the Large is a perfect fit.

Thanks for the review, TJ. Out of curiosity, if you had it to do over, is there another product you'd try first? Also, it would be great to see some pictures of your R1.

T.J.

Not sure Alicia. I've heard good things about the Arc'teryx Fortrez Hoody but it comes with an even heftier price tag. The R1 works well for how I use it and I'm glad I have it. I just like trying to grab one piece that delivers in a lot of areas. Hard to find.

12 hours ago
andrew f.

i have had R1 pullovers for a long time - one of them closing in on 15 years old, the other about 7 years old. my son wears the old one now. i picked up an R1 hoody, haven't yet reviewed it.

8 hours ago
andrew f.

ah, misfire. the fortrez is a different kind of jacket, has a fair bit more wind resistance. if that's part of your goal and you're willing to consider a layer with a little more insulating value, think about the arcteryx atom or the patagonia nano air. both are a fair bit warmer than the R1, and much warmer worn under a shell. either way with those jackets, be prepared to pay the hefty price tag.

8 hours ago

The R1 Hoody works out very well as a mid layer in…

Summary

The R1 Hoody works out very well as a mid layer in cool weather. This item is a staple in my pack when heading out on backpacking trips where I'll experience cool weather.

Pros

• Great mid-layer insulation
  • Hood closes up insulate neck and chin

Cons

• Doesn't block wind if worn stand-alone
  • Zipper has a somewhat awkward angle near the neck

I used to carry a traditional "fleece hoody" on my backpacking trips. I have found it's very helpful to have not just the extra layer, but that the hood provides significant extra comfort. However not only are they surprisingly heavy, but they are very bulky. In an attempt to solve these two issues, I did some research online and discovered the Patagonia R1 Hoody, and ordered it sight unseen.

When I received the hoody, I wondered whether it would really meet my needs. The material feels very light, and is quite thin compared to the traditional fleece hoody. However once I took it on a trip, and used it as a mid layer, my concerns were alleviated.

Mind you, this really is best as a layer. As it's very thin, it's not suitable for use on its own, unless you're exercising heavily (it does breath well), and definitely not on its own in windy weather (wind goes right through it). However as a layer, it seems to do a great job trapping the air, and provides a noticeable warmth, especially with the hood up.

I also discovered an unanticipated use for this hoody. Last summer the effects of the extra heavy snow the preceding winter were manifested in the form of exceptionally heavy mosquitoes. I applied a good coating of spray-on Permethrin before my trips. I found that the light fabric was not overly hot even in warm weather.  Yet with the Permethrin applied, it provided an effective barrier for the mosquitoes.

I would recommend the Patagonia R1 Hoody to anyone looking for a very light hoody for calm weather, for use (with Permethrin) as an insect deterrent, and of course as a great mid-layer in cool weather.

The old version zipped along the side of the face…

Summary

The old version zipped along the side of the face so as the zipper wasn't on your nose, my opinion old version is better. 160 lbs. 5'10" medium. The R1 pictured is a small. It is on the tight side, but I love this version and it was a great price.

Pros

• Zips along the side of face
  • Thumb holes
  • Dries quckly

Cons

• New version zips up the front of face

IMGP1164.jpg

Great mid layer, I wear mine over a T-shirt while hiking. When I'm at the summit I'll zip up over the nose, put on my sunglasses and maybe a light down hoody jacket.

Thanks for the review, Jafa. Out of curiosity, where is that picture taken?

Jafa

Kilkenny ridge trail, Jefferson, NH.

Thanks!

This top is really warm. I used it with the Micro…

Price Paid: don't remember

Summary

This top is really warm. I used it with the Micro Puff Vest in Nepal under my jacket and stayed toasty! Highly recommend it.

Pros

• warm
  • light
  • hood doesn't suffocate when fully zipped

Cons

• none

This top is a must have for anyone doing anything outside. It's warm, light weight, and while on the thinner side, don't let that fool you. It's super warm.

I recommend this top!!!!

I would have been using this for cold weather base…

Fabric: polartec power dry

I would have been using this for cold weather base layer for mountain biking. Nice concept, hood too big. Should fit tightly, like a balaclava, but does not. Zips up to bottom of nose for great coverage, but too loose. Zipper seems to stick on the base of the wind flap, right about chin level or lower. Can not reproduce sticking when not wearing it. Weird.

Thumb holes in sleeves great idea but sleeves not quite long enough when using them. Fabric seems very, very flimsy, and seems as if it might rip or shred with the slightest abrasion, or if pulled a bit too hard. (I did not keep it long enough to find out) With a sale price nearly one third off, it still seemed too expensive for what it was. I think Patagonia should make a bit thicker outer layer and keep the hood snugger, and the sleeves longer.

I'll stick to a buff and a soft shell hat, with a quarter zip poly base layer that cost a fraction of this item. Other reviewers seem delighted with it, but I do not agree. There are so many alternatives that do not leave your wallet empty, and fit better.

After an uncomfortable, cold, drafty night on the…

Fabric: Synthetic Fleece

After an uncomfortable, cold, drafty night on the trail in my 35-degree bag, I realized that sometimes my best sleeping bag will not prevent drafts in my ultralight tent from spoiling a good-night's sleep. I thought about turtle necks and warm hats, and balaclavas, and cringed at the thought of overlapping garments. That's when I realized that for sleeping, a snug hoody fleece would be the warmest and most-comfortable. When I got home and searched the web, I was lucky to find the Patagonia R1 Hoody top.

My first test was a camping trip to north Florida over the new year 2010, and so thought my 35-degree bag was all I needed. Needless to say, I didn't expect it to be quite so cold, and boy, was I unpleasantly surprised! Thank goodness I had the hoody!!! With my wool socks, long-johns top & bottom and the R1 hoody, I slept well and was comfortable all night. The hoody stopped drafts from hitting my bare skin and was the margin of warmth that kept me comfortable all night long.

Researching the hoody, I read that the R1 is sized snugly, so purchased my natural size--a large. The fit is perfect. The hood fits snugly around my neck and head, with a comfortable amount of elasticity. Besides sleepware, I found hoody is also extremely versatile, keeping me warm during cool days on the trail. It has replaced my Denali Jacket, relegating it to suburban duty while saving a half pound in weight.

Easily worth the money, the R1 Hoody is my new most-indispensable piece of gear.

Love it!!!

While not exactly a fashion item, the R1 Hoody is…

Fabric: R1 / Polartec® Power Dry®
Price Paid: 75€

While not exactly a fashion item, the R1 Hoody is very nice when it comes to lightweight hiking or climbing in cool or cold conditions. Actually, for the people who rarely bother to bring a second shirt to a trip, this is a gift from heaven. The hood replaces neck gaiter and hat or balaclava, making your kit list a little shorter, the long sleeves that end in thumb loops mean that you can survive with lighter gloves.

This shirt is thin compared to typical fleeces, and warm when compared to base layers. It can be worn either over a base layer or as a baselayer. If my hoody was not the last one in a sale, I might have gone for a bigger size - the fit is really snug and so my only option is to wear it as a baselayer, which I don't mind at all. Only when wet it is not as nice against skin as dedicated base layers, but once sweating stops, it dries off to a comfortable level fast enough. If it gets hot, the long zip is very effective for cooling.

To say something negative, the normal price tag might scare you away. And sad news for all the ladies out there: there is no women's model.

When going on a trip I bring two base layer shirts: a Hawaiian shirt for those lazy days in the sun and looking good in the pub after a day in the mountains, and R1 hoody for all other purposes.

A more thorough review by a well-known gear geek climber can be found here: