Primus EasyLight

The only reason I can't give the Primus Easylight…

Summary

The only reason I can't give the Primus Easylight a perfect score is because they're so expensive. Other than that they are incredibly well built and the travel boxes make transporting them 100% worry free. The mantles are light years better than any other brands. I've been using the same mantle for years and amazingly they never fall apart.

Pros

• Precision engineering for a tight seal, easy access to mantle,
  • Light, durable, very good at maintaining any light setting and to top it off they're even beautiful to look at.

Cons

• They're worth the money if you don't mind spending the initial cost. The mantles are about $10 a pair vs. $1.50 for other lights' mantles.
  • The fuel tanks are quite expensive as well.

I love them, and am very happy that I was forced into buying them during a storm that had emptied the shelves of everything but. Now that I've got them, I'd never want to use anything else. I do plan to buy a converter that will allow me to use standard butane cans rather than the expensive ones they fit.

DrPhun

So you don't find the mantles to be fragile at all? I have a similar looking lantern that uses the 1lb propane canisters, but I rarely use it because the mantles are so fragile that they always break during transport.

Or also known as PTL-2245. I first purchased the brunton…

Or also known as PTL-2245. I first purchased the brunton mantless lantern. Brunton say's it's a little tricky to lite--a little? I couldn't even light a flame, let alone keep it lit! Mantle lanterns are the way to go!!!They're easy to fit the mantle on the torch head, for some it's a hassle.

Anyway I can't say enough about the Primus EasyLight, some variations about the wattage differ, but all and all you get one hell of a little powerhouse of a light. When I'm packing light for an extended trip I carry two of these lanterns with me.

Easy to light (haven't been in severe windy conditions--yet), however, I love the compact and well design of the lantern's unique style. I've used the hell out of it, even I read voraciously all reviews all research information that I can about everything that I buy. I still got to go way beyond the stats.

I'm trying to pack as light as I can, however there're just some items I can't go without, I NEED WHAT I NEED!!! but common sense dictates what I must carry.

The Primus lantern isn't exactly 80-watts, I'd say 60 watts at best. But still plenty of light to navigate this darken world. It'll light up to a 20*20 area max--10*10 area min.

I was on a recent backpacking trip with a friend, he brought a Coleman North Star propane lantern. He had a Shasta 5000 with this lantern lashed to the front of the pack and inside had four propane canisters (less the really important items) I carried all of my stuff (all compact including freeze dried and gore-tex outer wear). To make a long story short he dumped the North Star and propane canisters at a camp site trash can.

I hope this review helps in making the only decision in your lighting needs!

What can I say...Primus manufactures a great product!

What can I say...Primus manufactures a great product! I've been using this lantern for some time and have found it to outperform most in its class. It has superior light output to others, great solid carry case, and a matching fuel efficiency to most in the isobutane class.

Bear in mind it is still a glass globe lantern and still requires some care. I have recently purchased a Brunton Lucy lantern for my ATV camping and though it has inferior light output than the Primus, it gives me peace of mind concerning durability. Hope this helps.

What can I say. I still have mine from the early '80s…

What can I say. I still have mine from the early '80s and it still works like new. Mantles are a little expensive but in a pinch I've actually modified a cheap Coleman to fit.

Work exactly as it was meant to. Comfortably soft…

Work exactly as it was meant to. Comfortably soft but bright light thanks to the simple but yet effective white-glass globed design. Easy to pack and set up, fuel efficient. A big bang for the bucks product.

I have used this lantern since two years. It's very…

I have used this lantern since two years. It's very practical and functional. I don't leave home without it.

Great Primus product. A bit loud. I have never had…

Great Primus product. A bit loud. I have never had a problem.

If you've owned or used a Primus EasyLight, please share your experience.