Primus ExpressSpider with Windscreen

The Primus ExpressSpider is the next generation of…

Price Paid: Pro deal from Primus

The Primus ExpressSpider is the next generation of backpacking stoves. At seven ounces, it is lightweight and compact to fit easily in a backpack, but cranks out 7150 BTU/h to bring water to a rapid boil in around four minutes.

Apropos of Primus stoves, efficiency is a big deal. The ExpressSpider is designed as a hose-mounted stove, with the gas tube circling the burner for more efficient combustion in cold weather while using fuel cartridges. This serves to heat up your food or water faster with using less gas.

As far as cooking dinner and boiling water for coffee or tea, I was pleased with its performance. I used a mid-sized Primus Power Pot and had a large can of baked beans heated before my stomach growled. I'm also pleased by its size, which is small enough for backpacking. It folds down to the size of a small hand and comes in its own little stuff sack. I fed two people with this stove (myself and my husband) but you can feed more, depending on the size of the pot you pair with it.

If you're a backpacker and ultra-light is your religion, the Primus ExpressSpider is a neat, compact, and stowable stove that is highly efficient. With the ExpressSpider, you'll carry less fuel and carrying less fuel means less weight.

But you will have to carry a lighter or matches because the stove has a manual starter. That's my only complaint. Those electric starters have made me lazy.

If you've owned or used a Primus ExpressSpider with Windscreen, please share your experience.

Primus ExpressSpider with Windscreen

The Primus ExpressSpider with Windscreen is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 16, 2014 at REI.

If you're looking for a new compressed fuel canister stove, check out the best reviewed current models.

Weight 198 g / 7 oz