Primus Meal Set

Weight 360 g / 12.7 oz
Dimensions 230 mm x 145 mm x 60 mm / 9 in x 5.7 in x 2.4 in

Primus meal kit: the strainer/cutting board is fantastic.

Price Paid: £16.99

Primus meal kit: the strainer/cutting board is fantastic. Includes bread cutter and cheese grater, oil bottle, spice holder.

• Very well thought out

• The cup could be better

OK as far as lunch boxes/meal kits go. You have this or the Light My Fire meal kit. What makes it for me is the strainer/cutting/chopping board/cheese grater. I think that is really brilliant.

Whereas the Light My Fire strainer/chopping board is just that, the Primus meal kit strainer does make a great bread cutter and grater. Also the oil bottle is a fantastic idea. It could contain salad dressing or washing up liquid, that is also a very good idea.

The spice holder is very good and lighter than the Light My Fire version, which is a little bit over designed and heavy. The Primus plate and bowl are the right shape and a good depth, whereas the Light My Fire plate and bowl being a triangle shape  can be a bit awkward and not ergonomic enough for food storage.

The Primus cup is my least favorite of the whole set. I feel it should have a sipping lid. The folding spork is not that heat resistant, so do not use it for cooking.

You could comfortably use the Primus meal kit as a meal kit for two people, so that makes the weight OK, but for one I would say it's a luxury. I use mine for day hikes. If I am stopping for a lunch break I'll bring cold meats/salad, salad dressing, fresh fruit in the seal-able container and use the cup for a coffee or tea.

I have something similar from GSI. Thanks for the review, John.

John Clarke

My pleasure goose I keep meaning to post a detailed review of this Australian made scrubba washing dry bag as well

This kit is large. Good for car camping, but maybe…

This kit is large. Good for car camping, but maybe too large for backpacking. Includes some good features.

• Light
  • Has lots of uses
  • Sealed bowl good for backpacking

• Large for backpacking

I bought this for my backpacking kit, but found out it was much larger than I expected. The full kit takes up a lot of bag space. On the bright side the folding spork, seasoning bottle, and oil bottle fit inside the included sealed bowl wish does make a great backpacking meal kit. I leave most the other stuff at home.

The kit includes:

• 2 plates (top and bottom of the container)
  • 1 cup (measuring lines without indication of what the lines mean)
  • 1 cutting board, strainer, grater, knife.
  • 1 sealed bowl (not water tight)
  • 1 folding spoon, fork, knife
  • 1 three compartment spice bottle
  • 1 oil bottle

If I could have bought just the small lidded bowl, oil bottle, folding spork, and spice bottle I think it would be great for backpackers.

Primus Meal Set

The Primus Meal Set is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 24, 2014 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new cookware, check out the best reviewed current models.