QuikClot Sport

Quikclot is the type of product that you don't need…

Quikclot is the type of product that you don't need often. But, when you do need it, you need it very badly.

I have used it several times to stem the bleeding from severe cuts and it has performed exactly as expected. When I say you don't need it often, what I am saying is that it is not the first thing you go to when you or someone with you suffers a bad cut. The first thing should be done it to use regular gauze pads to cover the wound and then apply pressure for a period of time. That is the first-aid technique we have all learned.

However, when the wound is deep and the gauze/pressure technique does not get the bleeding stopped, use a Quikclot pad and apply pressure. Each time I have had to use Quikclot, the bleeding has been stopped and we were able to butterfly the wound and get the person to a medical facility for closure. At least one time, the wound required over 15 stitches at the ER, but did not bleed between the hiking trail and the hospital. Quikclot works. I have used it and do not go in the mountains without some in my first-aid kit.