Rab Neutrino Endurance Jacket

Warm, puffy jacket from the other side of the pond.

Source: bought it used

Summary

Warm, puffy jacket from the other side of the pond. Backwards zipper, highly durable and water-almostproof. Very packable.

Pros

• Warm
  • Sized to fit on top
  • Waterproofish

Cons

• Zipper?

I just got this jacket on Geartrade. Great "piece of kit" (British) that I think will serve me for a while.

I noticed three things when I put it on: It was warm, it was nearly waterproof (think softshell), and my wife looked at me funny. I am 5'9", 205 lbs and I bought a large. I like getting things a little big, and this was a little big.

It is meant for ice climbing, when you have to sit and belay while they throw snow flurries down on you. Put it on the outside of your harness, outside of your shell, and it will keep you toasty warm. It is cut large, but not boxy. I have bought other Rab gear, but returned it size M because it was cut too small for me.

I find it to be very warm and windproof, riding on my scooter at 34 degrees I thought it was warm outside. This is my first jacket that I cannot wear around the house.  Yes, it breathes, but I just don't like being that warm.  I have a MH Monkey Jacket, and an Arc'teryx Atom SV and I can wear those around the house, even cleaning or doing other domesticated things. The Neutrino is too warm. I really like this jacket. Oh, and, it packs down pretty small. The L packs to about 4x7 in the included stuff sack.

The only funny thing about this jacket is the zipper. The English drive on the other side of the road, and so do their zippers.  Also, the zipper is waterproof and two-way. This is great for versatility, ventilation &c but if you are zipper-challenged you may get frustrated. I haven't gotten frustrated at all but I do have to think about the zipper every time I zip it up.  Not a big deal.

Durable and waterproof: I have not taken this climbing, rather, only scraped the jacket on walls and door jams.  Not a thread pulled.  Waterproof—it's not really waterproof.  I held the arm under the faucet for a good 10s, no penetration.  So...just pretend it's waterproof.

If you've owned or used a Rab Neutrino Endurance Jacket, please share your experience.