Raichle 60-Degree

Bought mine on-line from Cotswold outdoor 2 years…

Price Paid: £110

Bought mine on-line from Cotswold outdoor 2 years ago for £110. Because I bought them on-line I never got to try them on first but I got lucky and they fit great and are very comfortable for such a heavy boot.

As a member of a Mountain Rescue team I wear these boots a lot in tough conditions and they have never let water in. The support is excellent and due to the extremely aggressive and deep tread you feel nothing through the sole.

The insole lacks a bit of padding but this can be solved by fitting a replacement but be aware that Sorbathanes raise your heel too much and this affects the fit. I chose to stick with the original insole after trying several replacements.

Some adverts state that these are a B2 boot but they are not. Use a flexible crampon.

I am tempted to buy another pair while they are available although mine still have years left in them.

Excellent all rounder if you don't mind a heavy boot.

These boots retails for over $200, but I found them…

Materials: Suede
Use: Hiking, backpacking, winter use.
Break-in Period: 2 - 6hr trips plus some wearing around the house
Weight: 4 lbs

These boots retails for over $200, but I found them at a consignment store almost unused for $55. I've never had mountaineering boots before, so I found them to be an extremely stiff boot. Unlike plastic based mountaineering boots, there is some flex to them, plus I think they'll soften up a bit once I wear them in.

The boot seems to be incredibly supportive in the heal and there is very little or no lateral flex. It almost feels like a ski boot to some degree, but much more comfort. The boot offers great waterproof protection from the rubberized band around the boot. The suede uppers are fairly thick and offer plenty of insulation for winter use. Because of this, the boots may be a tad warm in the summer time. We'll see.

The soles on them are very rugged and thick. I can't ever see myself wearing out the soles anytime in the next century...

The boots are also design to accommodate crampons, but I'm not sure if it will fit all universal brands.

rated 5.00 of 5 stars All 60-Degree versions

In addition to the 2 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the 60-Degree. Read all reviews »

High-altitude adventurers will enjoy the durable and dependable platform of these flexible leather mountaineering boots. Durable and abrasion-resistant split-grain leather uppers offer superb flexibility and breathability. Wicking polyester linings disperse moisture quickly for quick drying and are treated with an antibacterial finish to inhibit odor. Padded, two-piece gusseted tongue protects from lace pressure while keeping out debris and water. High-cut rubber rands protect uppers from abrasion and enhance edging ability. Polyurethane midsoles absorb excess shock and supply cushioning for long approaches and descents. Nylon midsole supports control flex and create a torsionally rigid platform suitable for crampon usage. Vibram® Icetrek outsoles deliver superior durability, traction and braking on rock and ice.

Raichle Men's 60-Degree

The Men's 60-Degree has been discontinued.

The Raichle Men's 60-Degree is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 3, 2007 at REI.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.