REI Duck's Back Rain Cover

100L size fits well and sheds water well off my 88L…

Summary

100L size fits well and sheds water well off my 88L pack.

Pros

• Well made
  • Sheds water nicely
  • Easy to put on/take off
  • Drain hole

Cons

• Reduce cost by not including the extra carry kit

I've used this cover for a couple of seasons and so far it hasn't leaked any water onto my pack. I ended up getting the orange version but now wished for a more natural color when hiding my pack in the woods. I've used it a couple of times in drizzly rain and once in a hard rain and it went on fast, held up well and no leaks.

I use an 88L Mountainsmith pack and when it's fully loaded, including my Z-Rest on the bottom, the 100L cover fits perfectly.

WP_20140323_12_59_04_Pro.jpg

The one nag I have is the extra rip-stop zippered bag that came with it. It already comes with the sewn-in stuff sack so why add the extra weight/cost for this additional carrying device? It is heavy duty and comes with a latch for attaching to pack webbing but I don't use it because of the weight factor and don't like it bobbing around on the outside of my pack.

Update: I was at REI last night for a "How to Climb a 14'er" class and was looking around after the session.  It looks like they've done away with the extra carry bag as all the REI rain covers were now just hanging on the display in their own little stuff sack.

If you've owned or used a REI Duck's Back Rain Cover, please share your experience.