REI Folding Utensil Set

I originally bought these out of curiosity, but I…

Summary

I originally bought these out of curiosity, but I have learned to respect these utensils.

Pros

• Pack small
  • Great length

Cons

• Small spoon bowl
  • Bulky for chop sticks

I bought these utensils as a curiosity, but I have found a good home for them.  Every time I have used them, I have found them more than adequate for utensils.

The bowl is small for a spoon, and the thickness of the chopsticks are very thick.  The thickness of the chopsticks are throwing off my chopstick use, but with practice they will work fine.

The place were these shine is in packability. You can't find a longer set of utensils that will pack smaller.

I have a small Esbit cook pot that I like to carry as an all in one kit, but was not able to pack utensils in it due to the short size.  This kit is the only one that fits in this cook pot.  I can get everything in this photo inside of that cook pot and cook pot bag.

cook-pots-010.jpg
cook-pots-023.jpg
I don't need the excess length of this spork and knife for this pot, but it is the only thing I have that will fit in that pot.  You can see that when extended, they are longer than a long Sea to Summit alloy spoon.
cook-pots-006.jpg
cook-pots-007.jpg
I am left handed and I thought the threads would unscrew when I was scraping with the fork or spreading with the knife, but they hold firm. (Yes, that is a left-handed LMF spork). The Human Gear Go Bite Duo is running in the lead for best all around set (darker blue).

Daniel Oates

Thanks for the review, ronrude! How has that knife worked out? It looks like it has some pretty gentle teeth so I'm curious. Good comparison pics! I have a Toaks spork like your Sea to Summit in the middle your final pic and I love it so far.

Nice! The one thing I don't like about my long spoon is there's never a good place to store it.

ronrude

The knife works pretty good. I dont usually need one so I have only tested it on a skin on hot dog but the spork was popping through the skin and practically cutting it in half. I read a review that one person only takes the spoon and leaves the knife at home. Do you really need the chop sticks? The long sea to summit spoon gets used in the house all the time for salsa jars.

KiwiKlimber

Thanks for the review. I haven't seen these before, but may just check them out with my next REI dividend.

REI Folding Utensil Set

The REI Folding Utensil Set is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 26, 2015 at REI.

If you're looking for a new utensil, check out the best reviewed current models.